My very first orchids :)

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

First pic is of a Paphiopedilum Supersuk "Eureka" AM/AOS x Paphiopedilum Raisin Pie "Hsinying" x SIB I'm not quite sure that the AM/AOS and SIB is though. How often should I mist this plant? I've been misting in the morning and then after I get home from work. They both are living the main bathroom so that should help with the humidity. They get indirect light from a south-facing window.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's the second one. It's an Odcdm. Tiger Crow 'Golden Girl' HCC/AOS She's just about ready to bloom and I can't wait. I was told my other one is about 10 days away from blooming.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's another pic that shows the blooms better. I have an old dig camera so can't take close-ups.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
New Hyde Park, NY(Zone 7a)

congrats, very nice

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't imagine that you should have to mist any of these orchids more than once a day. It always helps to put them on a humidity tray, especially paphs and phrags. A humidity tray is a just a shallow dish with pebbles, fill with water and set your orchid on top of the pebbles. But don't let it sit in water, the level shouldn't be that high.

Don't forget to post pics when they flower!!!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I now have a total of 4 orchids and instead of trying to load all of the pics, I thought I'd post a link to a bunch of pics I took tonight. I had no idea the blooms would be so elegant and beautiful

http://www.q7.com/~eric/orchids/

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Emilyrasmus: You have a beautiful indoor garden there. Be careful though. Orchids are habit forming. I started out with one phal and a brassia my son gave me to care for. I now have close to 30. Do you keep them in the bathroom or just move there for pics? That's a good place for humidity.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Becula,
I'm already hooked on orchids. I love the uniqueness of the plants and flowers are just incredible. There's a nursery about 45 mins from my place that has a room full of orchids. I can't wait to have more.

I did start out keeping them all in the bathroom until I found out how much light Oncidiums needs. The Phal is still in there, but the other three have joined my other tropical indoor gardens where they'll get more light and be warmer.

How often should these guys bloom? My Oncidium has already put out new growth and would love to see it bloom again before next winter. It's still in full bloom and with my new dig cam I got for Christmas, lots more pics to come.

Regarding humidity, I mist in the morning and when I get home from work. I hope that's enough. I try not to mist too late though as I've heard that can cause problems.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Most orchids, once settled in, will bloom on a yearly basis. Some of mine bloom with such regularity that I can almost pin-point the week they will flower. Phals blooms th most often, sometimes twice in a year, but that is rare for me...once a year on average is the rule. Afterall, in the wild, they would bloom once a year.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I have several Onc. Alliance that bloom 2 or more times per year. I have one Brassia that has had 7 spikes this year. Its a real mature plant though and puts out new bulbs continually. My Sharry baby bloomed in March and is in bloom again for the last 3 weeks. My colmanara wildcat usually blooms in October. I have one phal in spike, and one just finishing, but the others are spring/summer bloomers. I have one cat type that has never bloomed. I haven't found the right light/temp/humidity for it yet, or it may just be a young plant. Oh, and so far I've killed every dendorbium I've touched... That's the facination of orchids.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.