Beech, Tricolor (Fagus)

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Does anyone grow this? With the beautiful foliage it is an attenion getter.
What is your opinion?
I have only seen it on garden shows and was thinking of purchasing/trading for one.

Linda

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I have a small one growing in my yard. The foliage opens shades of pink and it is wonderful. By the end of summer it has faded out. So if you purchase one know it will grow better if it gets some afternoon shade, away from the hot sun of summer. It is also a very slow growing tree so you can selectively prune this tree to keep it small. Good tree to enjoy for many years.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

It is a gorgeous tree. The leaves are tender to hot sun, so you may want to contact a local nursery and see what they say. Here, because we have a week or so of 100 to 110 degrees in the summer it must be an understory plant. Take a look at the purple Beechs also, the leaves are incredible!

Perry, MI

Linda,
Even in Michigan this tree will burn in the sun. It is defintely better in the shade. The prettiest one I have seen as a landscape contractor was on the east side of a house and was not thick and full but more wispy and open. The leaves are fantastic without sun scorching them. Best with morning sun only as it is cooler that time of day. Pricey but worth it in the right spot!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

It's on my 'wish list'.....along with everything else. I just don;t know where I'd put one....but MUST have one :-)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

check out Fagus purpurea 'Pendula'......a weeping purple beech....my personal fav.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh dear.....I love weepers....now I really am in trouble. :-)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Then you will LOVE this Marc.....dark, blackish-red leaves, gorgeous speckled bark with a fantastic weeping form.....to die for! The do grow very slow, but have "strong" roots if you get me....don't plant too close to hardscapes. :~D

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh good to know....won;t be putting that near any of my plumbing or side walks. :-)

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Is this it?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11076/

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Yup, but the new growth doesn't show the really deep color, too bad.

Dunedin, New Zealand

Here's a Fagus sylvatica 'Pendula Purpurea' growing at our local park. Great small trees. Fairly common to see them for sale from tree nurseries here, either grafted or top-worked - expensive though.
MrPorl

Thumbnail by mrporl
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh, that's a good shot! That one appears to have had the central leader cropped, then it became kind of a "standard form weeping tree". Lovely!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's another one you might try to find. Let me know if you find a US source -- it's Fagus sylvatica 'Tortuosa' from the Faux Foret of Verzy, France.
Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh my gosh .. I've never given any thought to a Beech tree being anything other than what we have 'in the woods' ... All of these new-fangled'uns, are jes gorgeous!

Altho' a 'tad' late - I'd like to pass along .. a big 'hearty welcome to DG' .. to mgarr, obsessed, mrporl, and StarhillForest !!

- Magpye

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Guy and welcome! I'm glad to see that you found Dave's Garden.

Mike
Greenthumb on GW

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi folks -- I was lurking for a while and couldn't resist the urge any longer -- although like most of you I really don't have time for any more forums!
Guy S.

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Love the Bi-Color Beech too. I didn't realize it is so sensitive to afternoon sun but I will be careful the next time I recommend one.

Anyone grow of have pictures of Weeping Katsura? I've only seen them in books, but would love to get one someday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.