Whoaaa... Fronts Colliding are NO FUN!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

This afternoon, it went from sunny to dark and gloomy in about 2 hours, really looked like snow.

Then out of nowhere, thunder like I've never heard before shook the house, enough to make a cup jump off my computer table. (Fortunately it was empty!) Then visible lightning and more rolling thunder for about 10 minutes, and power out.

When the elec. came back on, I called my friend about 30 miles away as the crow flies and he said within a half hour period he had snow, rain and hail, sometimes all three at once, plus the lightning and thunder that also shook his house badly!

This was from 2 fronts colliding and the winner will bring us snow after about 3 am. So much for my invitation to meet some new folks at a cocktail party tomorrrow evening. I'm not driving in even light snow when the forecast is a low of 24ºF.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Hi Darius,
I was just coming over Blood Mountain with my son earlier this afternoon and I saw that huge dark gray bank of clouds heading in from the west. Before we got out of Blairsville the rain and terrifiic winds had started. We passed a minor wreck on the Murphy Hiway. It was good to get home and get in some fire wood and get snugged in for the evening. We didn't lose power, thankfully, but we are looking for snow showers tonight.

I don't know Blood Mountain... heck I barely know Chunky Gal on the way to Franklin.

We were only without power 15 minutes but it was a frightful 15 minutes, end of the world feeling...

Maybe we might get winter here now? Poop, I just planted shallots and garlic today. I'd like them to have a few warm days before winter.

Don't worry Darius, your shallots and garlic will be fine and will be up in late winter. My soil is too wet to put anything in except in my blueberry bed since I loaded it up with peat moss when I started it, it's also on a bit of a slope, so I guess that helps. Stay warm and hang in, we'll have some fine mild days soon enough. :)

Yes, I feel the shallots and garlic will be fine! The soil here close to the creek is loamy rather than clayey so it drains well and not too wet today to plant. Of course, I wouldn't have wanted to "work" the soil today but for the shallots and garlic, I just made a deep shovel cut and dropped them in.

My biggest regret is missing the party tomorrow. I only know about 6 folks in a 50 mile radius...

Maybe by party time tomorrow evening you'll feel more like going. I don't think the foul weather is going to last. Since I've lived here most of the last 30 years, I know a lot of people, but I really have fallen out of socializing. Not a good idea but after my divorce I moved away and seemed like I lost all my "couple's friends". Seems easer for me to stay at home with my 6 cats. I don't like going out much at night anyway, too many animals, humans too, on the road and I don't see as well as I used to. I guess I've turned into a regular hermit! I hope you go to your party tomorrow and that you're feeling better. I have noticed you're all over the forums and have been sick. Be good to yourself and have some fun !

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

The weather you are talking about is supposed to hit us anytime now. Right now it is still quite pleasant but getting breezy. The lower temp (upper 50's) that is forecast for tonight will be good for my tomatoe plants. The fruit should get a kick start for ripening and the oranges become sweeter and juicer. YUMMY !!! Bring it on....

roseone33, you have mail.

Tplant, I'd sacrifice a few chilly days for you to set tomatoes!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hop on over to the tomatoe forum and read the results.

If I have mail, I don't know where it is....This is my first few days in my first forum and although I am learning to navigate somewhat, there are lots of things I haven't figured out yet.
Re: weather, we didn't get any snow showers, it was 37 when I got up at 7:30 this morning with light drizzle.
Looks like we an expect similar weather in the next 24 hours. It must be warmer here than over in the back of beyond outside of Hayesville. I regularly get mid 80's in the summer on my south facing place.

Rosemary, you didn't get the mail because I apparently didn't hit "send" but it's on it's way now, DG mail.

I'm skipping the party anyway... it's in Bryson City, an hour and a half drive for me, and I dislike driving through the gorge anyway. Possible bad weather only makes it worse. Plus I'm not a "party person", preferring a small gathering of just a few friends.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

WELCOME Roseanne, glad to see a new face in Daves Garden.. When you get mail yu get a notice on the top of the home page. I've only been here since April and it's still my only forum, you'll be surprised how much information and good conversation you find here.

Thanks,
I'm slowly getting it. I am so HAPPY to find other gardenrs I can communicate with. There just aren't that many people that can get excited about a beautiful small late season cabbage making a small head under a row cover. :)

WRONG! There are LOTS of us who would be excited about that cabbage, LOL.

That's exactly what I mean... DG people know what I'm feeling when others only see a muddy patch with some scraggly green things and a piece of white cloth. I see a tender sweet baby cabbage nurtured from a seed and watched over for months ...wondering if it woud actually head up, and a miracle, it has!

Maybe we live close enough that you can teach me about a vegetable garden next spring?

My pleasure. But I'm sure you are already an accomplished gardener. Growing vegetables is very similar to growing other things.
PS: I'm going to try to figure out how to get photos from my digital camera and attach them to my postings. Today I'd like to take a few photos and send them into the vegetable photo forum. Wish me luck.

The only vegetable I have ever grown successfully is tomatoes. Everything else withers, the squash borers get it, or they just plain ole don't grow.

I'm sure Terry (who overses the plants database) will welcome any and all veggie photos, as will the rest of us. If you need help posting them send me an email. Be glad to help.

OK, I'm heading outside with my jacket to get some shots....then I absolutely need to do Christmas cards and start getting stuff together to mail to my family in NY and NJ. I've put it off as long as I can! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.