Reblooming Irises

Tucson, AZ

Don't think that my msg.took so will send it again. Disregard if you see it twice. I live in Tucson AZ. I started out a couple of years ago with a few Home Depot irises. Don't even remember their names. Now I write them down. I even write a diagram of where I planted them (the rebloomers) so I can figure out which will rebloom well for me in Tucson. Some Arizonan's have rebloomers only rebloom once for them and some have some varieties that bloom for two or three months. or two or three times. I think it is just up to the rebloomer if he likes your garden so you have to try lots of diff. varieties. I just planted Autum Circus, Well Endowed, Champagne Elegance and two Immortalitys. I really like them very fragrant so was terribly disappointed when found out that iris growers don't ship till July or August usually. I really want Sugar Blues most of all as I hear it you can smell it from a distance. Does anyone have experience with other rebloomers that you can smell from a distance?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, ENGLISH COTTAGE has a wonderful, strong, sweet fragrance second only to SUGAR BLUES, and it's a rebloomer.

Laurie

Tucson, AZ

Thanks for your suggestions, Laurie. I want to get those two from catalogue. Joanie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, Junie - Harvest of Memories is bright yellow and reblooms for a long time in the fall. You should go to the My info header and put your zone in so we know what kind of weather you are dealing with. There is another Iris person from Arizona "Weezingrads". She has a thread about tall bearded iris and iris beds that is beautiful. There is also an older thread about rebloomers that you might find interesting. There are a couple of websites that seem to specialize in rebloomers. I'll get back to you.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi again. Sutton's Garden has a list of rebloomers and their reliability. Nicholl's garden has mostly historic Iris and a long discussion regarding the reblooming ability of each one. Most of the other sites have sorters that allow you to browse only for rebloomers, but these are the only two I know of that give you an indication of intensity of rebloom.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Joanie, are you in luck. I poked around on the net and found Suncountryiris.org. They are I believe in Phoenix which I know is a much different environment from yours but they have a list of rebloomers on their net that says when the different rebloomers bloom in their gardens (It is apparently an Iris Club).

Tucson, AZ

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I live in zone 9b, Tucson AZ.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dear Joanie, I found a really beautiful rebloomer at Cooley's garden. I don't know if they will carry it this year, it's from last year's catalog. It's named "Painted Clouds".

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just wanted to mention Joanie, that I've cruised through the web sites more and Leota's Garden's web page has a sorter where you can look through only rebloomers. And I think I was wrong about Weezingrads. I think that he is from Alaska. But go anywhere margiempv has posted, or sites she's started and I think that it will be helpful. She is on a thread called reblooming iris?????? and another in the Photo forum that is called Bearded Iris and Iris beds.

If you can't find them, let me know.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

For anyone interested in knowing more about Reblooming Irises. Here is a good site. It's the * Reblooming Iris Society. * You can find ALL kinds of information, photos, other links, etc.

http://www.rebloomingiris.com/

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Joanie, here's the link to the other reblooming iris thread. Finally figured out to do this. I don't know what was taking me so long!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/418134/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.