Quotations from a great butterfly garden article:

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello!
I just posted this information on another forum in response to someone wanting to design a butterfly/hummer garden. I thought it would be even more appropriate in this forum:

In a great article I saved, A woman(Julie Neel, who has been butterfly gardening for 50 years, and who also works with universities, and teaches how to butterfly garden in an "outdoor classroom"), gives great advice for people wanting a butterfly garden. Here are a few of her tips from the article:

1. "If you have a small garden, or are just getting started, put in nectaring plants, first". In her opinion, the best nectaring plants are: butterfly bush(buddleia), lantana, verbena, and pentas.

2. Second, "provide host. plants, such as fennel, parsley, and passionvine, for caterpillars to feed on."

3. In addition, she recommends a "puddling place for butterflies to drink. Julie's puddling place is a simple plastic container filled with builder's sand and aquarium gravel to make it shallow. She keeps a watering can nearby so she can sprinkle it whenever she passes. Butterflies aren't looking for deep water-just a little moisture. They're also looking for nutrients and salts. Adding a small amount of pure mushroom comopost to the damp gravel gives it the special flavor, and then all you need are a few nice basking rocks where your butterflies can enjoy the sun on their wings".

In arranging your butterfly garden, she recommends "plant shorter flowers in front, and taller ones in the back for the best opportunity to view the butterflies."

"Two things Julie does are "scatter her larval host plants apart, and mass the groups of nectaring plants together. The first gives the caterpillars a natural edge over the birds and avoids having tattered skeletons of caterpillar-chewed foliage. Grouping the fragrant nectaring plants on the other hand, saves energy for butterflies seeking supper. Lantanas and porterweeds that grow 6 feet across provide their own mass."

Here is the complete list of her plant recommendations:
1. summer phlox
2. butterfly bush
3. black-eyed susan
4. Mexican sunflower
5. butterfly weed
6. southern woodbine
7. bronze fennel
8. 'homestead' purple verbena
9. marigold
10. cosmos
11. purple coneflower
12. spider flower
13. lantana
14. porterweed

She also notes that "butterflies are most attracted to yellow, orange, purple, and red".

-Enjoy!
-T

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the great info. I have already printed it out to show my husband!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

This is going in the save! Thanks

Glad you two liked it! only one person responded on the other thread, so although I thought it was great, I was beginning to wonder if the information was too basic...

I think the advice of scattering larval host plants apart, and massing the groups of nectaring plants together, was an especially useful tip.

I also didn't know about "salty puddling pools", until I read this article...

Modi'in, Israel

I definitely liked that same tip seedpicker. And, like you, I didn't know they needed anything special in the water. I've been trying to think of how to make something for them that will be easy to keep clean and yet won't need refilling every day (in the summer my birdbath already needs constant attention as the sun evaporates the water very quickly).

I really appreciate your posting the article for us! :-)

-Julie

Hey Julie!
I've always envied those pricey ones in the catalogs...the ones that are really shallow and a couple feet across with the dripper attached...I think that one is fabulous...

I keep intending to make my own, but even the drippers, or misters can cost a lot, just by themselves...

I've heard of people stringing a milk jug full of water from a tree, and poking a tiny pin hole in it, so it will create a slow drip, but really don't want to add "that kind" of whimsy to my yard! lol...I'll just wait until I want to afford the nice ones! lol...

here is a link to the one I have my eye on: http://www.duncraft.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1155&lastcatid=21&step=4

The dripper/mister is very important. Without one, I think the butterfly puddling pool, would become a mosquito hatchery, don't you?!
-T

This one is a nicer shape, but doesn't include the mister/dripper, or the heater:
http://www.duncraft.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=820&lastcatid=21&step=4

-T

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

TNX great suggestions and list. Put the hosts out in the back corner and the nectars up close ... I too will mark this for next spring's plantings.

Modi'in, Israel

Why oh WHY did you send me that link?!?!?!?!? Now I've got a serious NEED for that! LOL That's a gorgeous birdbath and I WANT IT! Waaaahhhhhhhhhhh.....nobody has birdbaths here, not even the oldfashioned bowl on a pedastal type. So no chance of ever finding that lovely one! :-( It's just so great! Now I have to figure out how to convince the next family member who travels to the States to actually lug that thing back for me ROTFLMOA.....surely they wouldn't mind ;-).

-Julie

Do they specify that they WON'T ship to you??
I've recently been pleasantly surprised by a few places that have no problem with it at all!
Sunshine seeds is in Germany, and I've always admired their cool, rare things. I only this year found out they'll ship to the US.

It is worth asking, at least...

But, isn't that a cool one??! lol..
No mosquitos, no needing to add a lot of water, stays warm in winter...blah, blah, blah...

It is resin, though, and I think a homemade one with real stones and co ncrete, would look SO much nicer...

Are you, or your hubby handy?? From the looks of your garden, I'm sure you BOTH are...

-T

Modi'in, Israel

My DH and I are both NOT handy. I'm more handy than he is though....but not out of talent....out of sheer stubbornness not to admit there's something I can't do. ;-) Thanks for the compliment about the garden though. If you notice, there's nothing "built" out there....just things stuffed into the ground. I was actually in awe of him when he installed the drip dystem....I kept thinking "how'd he know what goes where and how many drippers to use in association with our water pressure etc to make sure each palnt got what it needed?" LOL He was amazed at me planting stuff and making it grow. LOL So we both had our uses in the garden ;-). But I'd really like to be able to build a gazebo, a wooden play house for the kids, a potting table, etc. But I can't even play "honey do" ;-). Oh well.

-Julie

I'm not handy, either...just get things done through sheer stubborness, not talent! lol

Look what I just found...
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/butterfly/2004061854001451.html

Supposedly, you should have one of these in your butterfly garden, too. Actually, I kinda already knew that, since they do that at our botanical/butterfly conservatory. Hard to believe they like spoiled fruit...

This one he suggests making, would hopefully keep the knats out...they sure like the same spoiled fruit, and I have enough problems with them, already...

-T

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Julie Neel of the original article is very knowledgeable. Her advice to spread out host plants around the garden and group the nectar flower group together is something that I need to consider. It is wonderful advice. The article was very good. The bird bath shown is just too big for my small backyard. Are there any like it smaller?
Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck-
Yes, they have all kinds of stuff for birding. You ought to click on a link, then click on the home page and click on birding supplies...
It's all there.
They are a bit pricey on some things, but their stuff is good sturdy, long-lasting stuff.
...I sound like a commercial! lol...
-T

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Taylor with the milk jug you hide it inside a clay pot or other decorative flower pot. Works great and looks nice too. I did that for a couple of years before we made our fountain/birdbath. Tree in backgground is where I had the dripper. I have a plant hanging where there was once a dripper.

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Wow, Donna...that is one great butterfly/birdie/critter watering hole!
Great job!
Did you just mix a bunch of bags of cement, or is that an old satellite dish?
Neat!
I am anxious to hear more about it!
Merry Christmas, by the way, too!
-T

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Taylor we just used edging material and made the circle to see how big we wanted in. We dug it out about 8" deep. Make a deeper hole in the middle to sink the pump in. We just mixed the concrete so of thick and spread it by hand. We did the hole first with thick cement and then the flat bottom a little thiner, Let it dry a little then made the curve up to the top with thick cement. It only took one day to get it all made and then paint it with the concrete sealer and let it dry for a day. Washed it out good and filled it up. I have a wire mesh strainer in the top of the deep hole to help keep out debris from going into the bottom and clogging the pump. I just use a pool skimmer to scoop the leaves out. I sweep the water out about once a month but the bird prefer it a little dirty. Make sure it is only about 4" deep or only a few birds will use it

You did a fiantastic job, and yes, they do like it shallow and dirty! lol...

Is that T. battiscombei on either side of your archway? I've seen it sold as a vine, but mine has never gotten any taller than yours is right now...

I think this will definitely have to be on my list of spring projects. We love feeding the birds and have multiple feeders and multiple baths, but nothing big and shallow, like that...I like it!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Yes it is Taylor. i just dug them both up and gave them away. I planted them thinking they were a vine and would cover the trellis. Gonna find 2 of the black wisteria(Milletia reticulata) vines to plant there this spring. I want it completely covered

Great choice. You'll love the Milletia. They are a bit hard to find, but great vines, once you get them going.

Mine are deciduous for two months(Jan & Feb.), and evergreen the rest.
They may even stay evergreen for you, since you are a half zone warmer.

-T

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

BUMP remembered I was gonna use these ideas this spring.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Me, too! ;-)

(Zone 7a)

Yup

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, spread the word! I've already seen a few butterflies and have caterpillars feeding on my fennel. Yay!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I gotta get fennel and parsley seed immediately!

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8a)

Larval or host plants are specific to specific butterflies. i.e. the monarch and queen host (lay eggs and the caterpillars eat the plant) on milkweeds--Sulphers on cassias--

Fritillaries, Julia's longwings like passion vine--not the red flowering one.

Black Swallowtails go for the parsley, fennel, carrot, and dill.

If you get eggs and caterpillars they will eat beyond anything you can imagine.

If you have black swallowtails---and don't watch carefully you're large parsley plants can disappear in a day. Some of us--have a source for organic parsley and fennel so we raise the caterpillars in captivity feeding them store bought organic parsley/fennel and then release them when the butterflies emerge.

But if you are going to do this it is a big commitment and you have to be around everyday for the complete cycle while the caterpillars are feeding during the chrysalis stage so you can release them when they emerge.

Some years I don't see the black swallowtail in my yard. Mostly I raise the fliteraries and the monarchs--they are the easiest to find--One monarch caterpillar will eat a very large milkweed plant--everything but the stem.
The monarch eggs are very easy to spot---white dots on the underside of the leaf

The fritillary wants its passion vine in the sun--the longwing in the shade---picky picnickers they are.

Here is a zebra longwing nectaring on compact firebush

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Welcome to DG, goodstoryteller. Looking forward to more contributions but, first the pic! ;-)
John

Glad to hear sulphers like cassias. They are my favorite little butterfly...
They just LOVE my 'Walker's low' catmint...(as a nectar source, that is...not host plant)
-T

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Bumping this again b/c there are some good ideas and links in this thread!

John

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

IMWay,

Yes, there is a lot of good advice on this link. I am referring to it often...either to get something I have missed or just to refresh my memory. Luckily I just renewed my DG so I will have access to the article for another year!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

Chuck

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

The list given at the top of the page by a person who has had butterfly gardens for 50 years might be a perfect list for the locality in which she lived; but it is not a list that everyone from all parts of the country would be happy with. I have not tried some of the plants that she has listed but some of the plants she listed do not grow well in this area and some of our very best nectar plants were not even listed. In most cases the favorite nectar sources of the types of butterflies that one can ordinarily expect to visit a particular area would be the ones to choose and that would not necessarily be the same from region to region. In our area, for example, Butterfly Bush and Purple Coneflower and Butterfly Weed do not grow at all well. My best nectar plants are Tithonia Rotundifolia 'Torch' and Tithonia Diversifolia (Mexican Sunflower), Red and Pink Pentas, Orange Cosmos, Purple and Blue and Coral Porterweed, Scarlet Milkweed, Tall Verbena, Firebush,Mexican Flame Vine, Gregg's Mistflower, and Golden Dewdrop-not necessarily in that order. I haven't been able to get Lantana to grow well here but I hear that it is a wonderful nectar plant. Some Host plants that are a must for this area would be Corky Stemmed Passion Flower Vine, Scarlet Milkweed, Aristolochia, Senna [particularly Popcorn Senna (Senna didymobotrya) and Christmas Senna (Senna bicapsularis)], Citrus, green fennel, and/or dill. Since most butterflies have only a small number of hosts that they can lay their eggs upon, one would need hosts for whatever butterflies are most likely to frequent your area. Otherwise I think the list is very helpful and has excellent information.

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ed, Those are good comments for our area. In my Venice Garden the prostrate native porterweed, compact (formerly dwarf) firebush, native firebush, red pentas, native (vine groundcover white blossoms) plumbago (bares no visual resemblance to the blue or white bush plumbago of African origin), mexican flame vine, scarlet milkweed are favorite nectar sources.
My experience with lantana here is confirmed by Pam Crawford in her Florida Gardening series "Best Color" Purple for winter and yellow for summer--the others and new fancy hybrids just don't make it through a season.

Our Sarasota Butterfly Club (NABA Chapter) maintains a very nice--largest in area--butterfly garden, free and open to the public on the grounds of the Sarasota Garden Club on the corner of Tamiami Trail and Boulevard of the Arts.

Dover, NJ

Everyone should also check the publications page of the NABA website (http://www.naba.org/pubs/bgh.html). They have regional brochures on butterfly gardening for many states. These are available as free downloadable PDF files, and are a great resource. They have a great one for south Louisiana!

Mark

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Done! And, thanks.

John

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Edfinney,

I agree with you totally. I planted a lot of monarda as butterfly nectaring plants. They didn't do well with the four of them dying off slowly. Then I found out for our area that monardella is native and does the same job. Thanks for writing about area differences.

Dear SeedPicker,

What is mushroom compost? Where do you get it? I am eager to start a simple puddling point for the butterflies. The article you posted is a good motivator.

Thanks,

Chuck

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

We went to a nursery that has a butterfly encounter. The guy there said to use 1/2 tsp. of salt, sand, and enough water to moisten it. And then to add 1 capful of fish emulsion once a week. He said not to replace the salt because the original salt stays in there. I used the bottom of a huge plastic planter and put it on the ground. Cheap and easy. Karen

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Gonna give it a try Karen. Phish emulsion phewy lady, LOL
Sidney

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, the original list is a place to start and has some good general ideas, but I think it's important to find out from your State Extension or Department of Natural Resources (usually available with a google search) what the native butterfly attractors are for your area and which specific plants are recommended for your butterfly visitors.

I noticed for instance, that Buddleia, a favorite in many butterfly gardens, is considered an invasive plant by many federal and state agencies. Likewise, purple loosestrife.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

HI, I am in zone 10, so many of the following will not work for you.
I have had good results with the following nectar plants all growing in my yard. Many of these plants are natives and many are wildflowers (weeds) Beautyberry Callicarpa bodinieri, Bahama Berry Nashia, Beach Sunflower Helianthus debilis, Blanket Flower Gaillardia pulchella. Bloodberry, Butterfly Sage Cordia globosa, Blue Sage Eranthemum pulchellum, Cape Honeysuckle Tecomaria capensis, Cat's Bell Crotalaria spectabilis, Cat's Whiskers Orthosiphon stamineus, Flaming Glory Bower Clerodendrum speciosissimum, Duranta erecta Golden Dew Drop & White Sky Flower, Floss flower Ageratum houstonianum, Tropical Whiteweed Ageratum conyzoides, Jatropha’s Coralbush, Coral Plant multifida & Spicy Jatropha integerrima. Monarda’s Beebalm punctata & Wild Bergamot Monarda fistulosa. Panama Rose Rondeletia leucophylla, Plumbago, Plumbago auriculata & White Plumbago Plumbago zeylanica, Porterweeds Blue Stachytarpheta jamaicensis & Coral Stachytarpheta, Red Stachytarpheta mutabilis & Nettleleaf Violet Stachytarheta.
Also Rouge Plant Rivina humilis, Scorpion Tail, Butterfly Heliotrope Heliotropium angiospermum, Shepherd's Needles Bidens alba, Simpson's Stopper, Twinberry Myrcianthes fragrans, Sleepy morning Waltheria indica L, Smooth Strongbark Bourreria cassinifolia, Snow Squarestem Melanthera nivea, Surinam Cherry Eugenia uniflora, Viburnum obovatum, White Twinevine Sarcostemma clausum, Wild Coffee Psychotria nervosa, Wild Poinsettia Poinsettia Euphorbia heterophylla.

Larvae plants that work in my yard not previously mentioned Christmas Sienna Senna bicapsularis, (for sulphurs & whites) Oleander Nerium oleander, (for Polka-dot wasp moth) Coontie Zamia pumila, (for Atala) Passion FlowersCork Bark Passionflower Passiflora Suberosa & Maypop Passiflora incarnata & Wild Yellow Passion Flower Passiflora lutea, (for Zebra longwings & Gulf Fritillarys ) Snow-Bush Breynia disticha, (for white tipped black moth) Wild Lime Zanthoxylum fagara, (for giant swallowtails) Also many Canna's for skippers and Rue.

I have other plants in my nursery area which I have not yet identified that are attracting butterflies. As these plants mature and I am able to id them, I will post the information here. I "cut" most of these plants from local "wild" and not so wild area's (where ever I find them in our garden club travels.)

Art

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.