cape honeysuckle blooming!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My cape honeysuckle is blooming for the first time!

Thumbnail by rylaff
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

how beautiful. this is one i am looking for do you have the botanical name for it by chance? thanks Marie

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, it is Tecomaria capensis. The vine is a couple of years old now. This is the first time it has bloomed for me.
I dont think it gets enough sun.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

great looking flower

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, that is such an intense color. Very pretty.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I love it
Mine is one I got in the ill fated co-op and I love it
It started blooming in late summer and is STILL in bloom right now in the GH
takes abuse well too

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful. I love the color.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

They prefer full sun and can get invasive over time so I keep mine in a pot and it does great.
I have the orange and pink varieties
Jan...

Modi'in, Israel

Thanks for this thread rylaff! Not only is your pic beautiful, you've helped me ID something that I saw on a daytrip recently. I thought it looked similar to honeysuckle (Lonicera) but was sure it wasn't really. I wasn't able to get close enough for a sniff either so that didnt' help LOL. Then yesterday I saw it again on my walk around the neighborhood, was able to check the smell and it didn't have a scent at all. In any case, it has gorgeous blooms and I'm very happy to have an ID for it now :-).

-Julie

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

They come in PINK????

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That's what I was wondering CC! I want a pink one!
I rooted a piece of my big bush(it's just the orange variety), it was easy. I just pulled a limb down to the ground, put a dirt clod on it and it rooted. I cut it free from the mother plant and moved it about two-three weeks ago and it is blooming! It's less than a foot tall. Gotta love them for the way they keep on flowering no matter what we do to them.

It is actually more of a salmon color than a true pink. They also come in red but I don't have that one (yet)

Calalily,
I send send you a couple of cuttings for postage if you'd like to try rooting them.
Jan...

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow pink and other colors. i bet its pretty.

i am still on the hunt for these but it frosted really bad last night and they are calling for 19 tonight so i guess i will look for seed. for now anyway.

Budgielover, yes I'd love a cutting! I'll email you for your address to send postage.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

anyone have a cutting to spare, i would love to start one in my greenhouse untill spring

Kareoke, are you wanting orange or the pink one?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

sorry I lost this thread, Calalily if you still have
one I would love it in any color, but red is my favorite color :)

I've got two pieces pinned down to the ground. One is spoken for, but you can have the other one. They should start rooting soon.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

that would be great, thank you, you want me to send just postage or BE

Just postage is fine Kareoke. I'll also check on your weather before I send. Don't want it to freeze on the way north.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OK then you can send anytime Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.