I have seeds and instructions

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

UPDATE Jan 31, 2005:
I'm sending out 3 different seeds - 10-20 or so of each. (The seeds are so tiny, I am not counting.) I figure you only want to try a few and not start a nursery.

All of these (except I don't know about the Aeschynanthus - if it ever ripens - because I've never grown them from seed) are certainly fast germinators and relatively easy. BUT, note that some seed may not viable for any number of reasons (or for no reason at all). In other words, if they don't germinate for you, don't give up - try again!

= = = = = original message = = = = =

Hmmmm.... I thought I had posted this already.

Tis the season for seeds - I am drooling over some speckled lettuce and striped tomatoes. LOL.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in trying to grow gesneriads from seed, it looks like I will be harvesting seeds in the next few weeks. These are all non-AV gesneriads - probably Streptocarpus, Chirita tamiana (pods haven't aborted and it's been over a month), Sinningia, Titanotrichum oldhamii, and the Aeschynanthus longicaulis. Email me with your address if you are interested.

I put my seed sowing "instructions" up here: http://kyi.info/gesneriads/. I'll be adding more gesneriad info there when I get a chance.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2005 6:39 PM

Thumbnail by Keyring
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Ho Ho Ho... shall we call you Santa Ki??? lol

You know me...put me on the list, but I'll gladly take the bottom spot so others with out the "seed curse" can take a stab at them...
I'm defintely interested in the Chiritas & Sinningia's...they can even have their own terrarium .:) Now I know what to do with the emptyone I was just loking at..

got some more pics for you..I'll put them up in a bit..Your gonna be proud:)

MsC

Here ya go... ta da! :-D
The top pic is of the first ones you sent that had a broke neck...
The second pic is the last ones ....

I DID NOT KILLL THEM..... YET!!! lol

I try really hard not to even look at them becuase i figure they'll just keel over and die...

I've had a lot of fun with them and am ready to try from scratch...

Thanks to Keyring...

MsC

Ok, so it helps if you attach the photo...

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

woo hoo they're doing well !

do not look at them - that's the trick. LOL.

you're definitely on the seed list. Can you believe the tamiana might really ripen? That's 3 seed pods - could be 1200-2400 plants. rofl.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Do you have room for one more on the list?

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

sure - I am still waiting for some to ripen. Can you send me your address again?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Hi, Keyring. Do you have any more seeds left? I would luv to try growing some of them from seeds. Maybe I have something you might be interested in for a trade.
Thanks, Donna

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Donna - pls email me your address.

Status: I am STILL harvesting seed. I am hoping to send everyone at least 3 types of seed from at least 2 kinds of gesneriads....

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello Keyring:

You wouldn't happen to have any more Aeschynanthus longicaulis and Chirita tamiana seed that you could spare, would you?

Thanks,
Ispahan

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Ispahan - I have tamiana seeds. The longicaulis is still ripening, so if they ripen, I will have seed. Email me your address and request these two in the message - it will help me keep things straight.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Keyring, you've got mail.
:) Donna

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Keyring... If you happen to have an extra seed or two, I would love to try and grow a couple of them. I don't have much to trade, but I have some veggie seeds.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Keyring, would love to try any of your seed , haven,t had much luck but after reading your info on growing these . I might just be able to do this. Thanks for shareing the info and the seeds if you have any left.
Carolyn

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

Keyring, if you still have any of these seeds, would love to try them, and would be greatful for any of the varieties you listed...also, I have some aloe seeds I'd be happy to send you, if you'd like to try them, no guarantees on them tho - their history and type are unknown, and I just started some of them a few days ago, so am still waiting to see what happens :)......Katherine

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

OK, I'm back. I am taking a break from packing some seeds and will be putting some in the mail next week. The Aeschynanthus is still taking its lovely time, but I have enough other seeds to get started.

If you haven't sent my your address already, please do so. I have plenty to go around.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I would like some seeds if you have any left. Thanks.

JesseK

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes I do - please send me your address.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

ok, envelopes are packed for everyone except the three who haven't sent me their address yet. (starlight, mdream and kbuzz).

Any other takers, I have more seeds.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

So far I've sent out envelopes to everyone who has sent me an address. MsC - I think I forgot to include tamiana seeds in yours - LMK.

A few of you have offered seeds or postage in exchange - thanks very much for the offers. Instead, please consider donating seed to the AGGS when/if your seeds grow. I say this because almost all of my plants originate from the AGGS seed fund or from the local chapter of the AGGS. For example, the Rio das Pedras plant is new to cultivation in the U.S., and was mostly distributed by the societies - it's only very recently that they have become available in catalogs. The AGGS is an important resource for us gessie addicts and from what I hear, they are not getting enough seed donations (but they do get a lot of orders).

Ok, end of PR spiel.

Do not sneeze near the seeds!

Hiya Keyring,
Just a note tolet you know the seeds arrived today!!
Nope, there were no tamiana seeds, but that's no problem.
I appreciate the seeds you did send and am very happy to have them.

I'll be glad to send seeds back to the AGGS seed fund if I have the good fortune to have any.

Thank you very much.

MsC

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Keyring,
I received the seeds you sent to me today. Thank you very much .
Patti

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Keyring,
I would love some gesneriad seeds. Please let me know if you still have some available.

Thank you.
Shirley

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Shirley, just send me your address.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi Keyring:

I received the Chirita tamiana seeds in the mail today. I can't thank you enough. This is a species I have always wanted!

Thank you so very much!

Ispahan

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Keyring,
Thank you so much. I will email my address to you.

Shirley

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Keyring are you all out of seeds. If you have any left I would really be interested in a few.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Keyring, I got the seeds you sent me. Thanks again for being soooooo generous. I will keep you posted on how they do.
Hugs, Donna

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

yup, I have more seeds.

If anyone else wants, please just send me your address.

I will post here when I run out. (which probably won't be any time soon, as I still have some pods ripening)

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

hi folks,

I've been tied up with work and haven't sent any out since the last batch. I should be able to mail them on Wednesday.

This is going to be a LAST CALL for takers. If you haven't emailed me your address, please do so by Tuesday.

Thanks!

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

Keyring. Thank you so much for sending me some seeds. I cannot wait to get started on them. You are so sweet to do this.
Cindy

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I would love for a few seeds, I have missed this thread somehow. I'll email you my address.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.