Gardening with Native plants and Wild flowers of Texas.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello Everyone, I am interested in discussion, seed and plant trading
and learning in general about native plants and wildflowers. I am very dedicated to plant conservation and I love to demomstrate what can be done with the native plants that have been ignored by the nurseries in favor of the exotics. About 85 % of the plants in our yard are native and we are allways looking to improve.
I am sure there are others out there doing the same thing and loving it as much as we do.
Please let us talk about what you are doing and what you have accomplished.
We are on our 7th year of this type of gardening.
Hoping to hear from all you dedicated gardeners.
Sincerely, Josephine.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Quote " native plants that have been ignored by the nurseries in favor of the exotics."

I think a lot of folks would not take kindly to commercializing native wildflowers.

JMO

=)

Dear Scooterbug, I don't understand why finding native plants and wildflowers at the nurseries would not be good. We have nurseries in Texas that specialize in native plants and we are very happy about it, because we want our beautiful native plants to be recognized and appreciated more in the home landscape, where people can see them on a regular basis and enjoy them.
Our beautiful state flower, the Bluebonnet is an example. The highway dept. plants bluebonnets and other wildflowers along our highways and it is a magnificent sight to see Texas in Spring.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife department also has an Urban Program to encourage home owners to use native plants in order to peserve our native flora, and provide shelter and food for wildlife. An information kit is sent to those who want to participate, and after their requirements are met, they award you a certificate and a plaque stating that your yard is a native plant and wild life habitat. We are proud members of this program and are trying to encourage others to participate in this and other similar programs.
We hope to bring the message to as many people as possible.
Sincerely, Josephine Keeney.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2004 11:40 AM

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Very nice website - enjoyed the pics very much. You might get more discussion on this in a different forum. Perhaps Texas Gardening Forum or Wild Plants Forum. Just click on Terry's name, in the Member List and ask her to move the thread.

edit: and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to you! Hope you have wonderful day!!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2004 10:16 AM

Dear Kooger, I followed your advice and Terry moved it right away, thank you for the kind words and the suggestion.
Sincerely, Josephine.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

You're very welcome. Glad to be of help. :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

bump

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

frostweed, just noticed that this thread has not actually been moved to the Texas Gardening Forum.

John

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

It was moved to this forum -Indigenous(Wild) plants.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Might get more response in the Texas Forum?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Could be, I just did the suggesting.... :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-)

I think that the Texas gardening forum might more effective, but this is the one that Terry
moved it to, so I don't want to bother her too much.
Do you think I should ask her to move it again?
Josephine.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Sure, and ask her to delete the posts past the third post to keep it on the topic. :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I agree with kooger.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Or just go to the Texas forum and start another thread.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Yup, that works too!

Hello Everybody, I just moved the three first posts myself,to Texas gardening.
I hope that is allright, I did not want to bother Terry.
Thank you for the good sugestions.
Josephine.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I figured the thread would get a warm reception here since it dealt with native plants ;o) shrug.....What can I say? When we move threads, sometimes we make the right call, sometimes we miss the mark.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Ya tried....this one would have been my first guess, too. :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

;-)

Terry, you are absolutely right, and I thought the same as you. I didn't mean to imply that you
didn't make a good choice, but evidently Texas Gardening is a better one.
Thank you for all your efforts, you have been very kind.
Sincerely, Josephine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.