Who Knew

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Last January I ordered a bunch of seeds, and as a bonus, they sent African Violet seeds. It had never occurred to me to start AVs from seeds, but it was winter and I was bored. In a few weeks I started seeing (with a magnifying glass) little leaves. This is in less than a year! I'm amazed.

edited because I can't spell

This message was edited Dec 7, 2004 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

another shot

Thumbnail by LindaSC
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful!
Well done!
Thanks for sharing the pics they look great.
MsC

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

another plant

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

look at the little purple specks.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

That pink with the purple specks is beautiful!
Oh... now I want one...lol

MsC

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Me too! Me too! LOL! Love those purple speckles lhughes! Do you have a name for the one you started from seed? I have one that looks A LOT like that!

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

No names, of the pack I started, I ended up with about a dozen good plants, several are blooming now.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Linda your AV are beautiful, my favorite color is lavender and purple. Not the deep but the light purple. Then the one with the purple speckles are out of sight.

Got to have me some of those. If you figure out what there names are let us know.

Thanks Linda

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I was amazed that they would get that large and bloom in less than a year. I could always send you a leaf. Don't know (guess they don't have) names.

I would love a leaf.

Linda - your pink fantasy blooms are great! You know if you grow the same plant and flowers from a leaf taken from your original plant and then from each new plant for three consecutive years, and it keeps the same bloom and foliage, that you are entitled to name and register your plant with the African Violet Society of America. Good luck. Harold

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Your violets are beautiful! I love the fantasy blooms. I have some seed that I haven't planted yet--makes me want to sow them now!

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks all, this is the first time I've grown AVs from seeds, it was a great experience. At first, the little leaves I could only see with a magnifying glass, it was really amazing.

Linda I thought my AV leaves were going to die on me. But finally today I have my first baby. Am I ever thrilled. It is off the one leaves that only had about 1/4 of a inch stem on it. I had them marked with a sticky note which one each was but two of my little notes fell off. I had met to go in and mark with a felt pen when I found it but never did. I will know what it is once it gets bigger and blooms. I noticed the thread and I had forgotten to tell you thank you so much for the leaves. As soon as it gets a little bigger I will post a pictures.

THANKS AGAIN.

Linda

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Linda 2 pug, here is one of the leaves that I sent you. At the time it had not bloomed.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

a little closer

Thumbnail by LindaSC

BEAUTIFUL I sure hope mine will be as pretty as yours.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great job, Linda. I think I have some seeds to start to.
:) Donna

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Donna, the seeds are not much larger than dust. A trick I use when dealing with seeds of this size is to take one piece of toilet paper, and a toothpick, dampen the end of the toothpick, pick up 1 (or 2) seeds and touch it on the tp. That way you can see how the seeds are spaced (not all clumped on top of each other). Then I take a 4" pot, fill with damp potting mix, put the piece of tp on that and cover with a thin layer of sand. I cover that with a clear plastic cup to serve as a dome and hold the moisture in. When they start germinating you can hardly see them. It was fascinating and I couldn't believe that they bloomed in less than a year (the first one bloomed in 8 months).

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info. You've just got the touch!
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.