Anybody want a Chi puppy??? (Just Joking)

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I thought I was going to have a heart attack this evening!
Those lil cuties pies that have been keeping me so busy lately almost wiped out a whole tray of African Violet babies! NAMED ones! UGH!

I think I saved most of them and they need repotting anyway -but I had not planned it before bedtime tonight!

Anyway, please say those African Violet prayers they survive for spring trades....

Hope you all get a good giggle outta my day:)

MsC

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

lol. they're gonna survive.

Those look great! You're so organized too! I'm in awe.... LOL.

Hiya Keyring,
I think I only lost maybe 2-3!!
I have very brief moments of being very organized and then....well my nature takes over..lol

I think I've lost my critterkeepeing mine some days...

I've got a pic for you so you can help me decide what to do with that unruly Fade Jade plant I bought...it's a monster in a 4 inch pot that spreads about 2 ft around....lol

Any suggestions on where to cut it at next?? I've already removed most of the stolons that were on the outter part...

MsC

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Let's see if this picture works.

woo hoo it does.

Ok, I would cut off the As and root them - they have potential for turning into nice plants. The Bs are woody stems that are not so great for rooting. The one on the right I would just cut off. I can't tell what the other B leads to.

I would then take the remainder of the plant and pin down all the Cs onto the soil to root. Once rooted, you can sever the connecting stems. For these thicker stems, you might want to nick them and dab a bit of rooting powder on them before pinning them down. (Alternatively, you could cut them off and root them.) However, I find that smaller stolons make better cuttings (they turn into nicer plants) than these bigger stolons. So, I would expect to be replacing the parent plant once the cuttings are established.

Anyway, this is what I would do. I tend to groom my episcias a lot, in part to keep their size down. I'm sure other people prefer to just let them grow. It's a matter of preference, really. But I would bet that you can't take it as is and turn it into a show plant - for that you have to start over with a stolon.

Thanks for reminding me to check on the cuttings I've left somewhere under the lights. I bet I haven't watered them in two weeks... I hope they're ok. Whooops.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2004 6:13 PM

Thumbnail by Keyring

That's wonderful!
Thank you so much!
I wasn't really sure what else to do with it after I got the obvious stolons off.
I will have plenty of babies to try to grow now..lol.

Funny you should mention watering plants... the puppies think the Av trays are the water bucket! Wonder if the fertilizer will make them grow into Great Danes??

Thanks again for the help.

MsC

I want one of those chi puppies. Shame on you for teasing, Ms C! LOL!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

These are very beautiful...I want but I am not joking.......

kaleem

kaleem,
Your funny! Now how do you think we could get one through customs????? That's too funny besides your cats would not like one..lol :)

MsC

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

just kidding, but I received four new leaves of Varigated AVs plant, Gita sent me from USA, these are very beautiful, all are in small container and containers are in plastic bags. I was waiting, I am waiting and I will waiting for your plants........

kaleem

LOL.....Christmas IS coming Kaleeme.....no peeking..lol

MsC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.