Monday, Dec 6

southeast, NE

Good morning everyone. Wow - I can't believe it is December 6 already. Do any of you still celebrate St. Nick's day? I have fond memories of getting a bag of candy and fruit on that day. Our neighbor would dress up as St. Nick and visit us and ask us to recite certain prayers. I'm not sure when we gave up that tradition.

Kathy Jo - your story about the rooster made my day! One thing about raising animals - there is never a dull day.

It was a busy weekend again. DH was supposed to have Guard Drill on Saturday. However, he and two other friends hauled calves to the local sale barn for our friend. This is the friend who had his kidney and tumor removed. Originally, they were also going to haul our friend’s cows to the sale barn on Saturday. However, the owner of the sale barn talked him into waiting until January when they have a special bred cow sale. So DH is feeding our cows plus his cows. He went to bed last night at 8:00 so he could get up at 5:00 this a.m. to do everything before he went to work.

By the way, the tumor was cancerous; however, the surgeon is confident that the cancer has not spread. Please keep him in your prayers.

I can’t believe I am saying this and you will want to slap me for saying this but we are kind of wishing for a bit of colder weather. We had rain yesterday and it is so sloppy out. It is hard to maneuver the tractor, etc. in the mud. Both DH and Julia’s coveralls were about 10 lbs heavier with mud.

We already have orders for Abby’s puppies (she was bred last week). I did ask DH where this dog and her puppies were going to live when they are due the end of January. Not that I have a problem having Abby in the house (in the basement, of course) but she goes bonkers when get comes into the house as she would much rather be outside. Maybe she will change when her mothering instincts kick in. I looked outside yesterday and our new puppy, Belle, was trying to chase our ram. I about had a heart attack as dh was supposed to be watching her. However, the ram just glared at her and gave her this "give me a break - you idiot" look.

Better get back to work – you all take care!!!

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!