Come on March!

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

That is when this blooms.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

And whatever this is, I'd sure love to have it blooming here. However, it could get pretty crispy in March here in Iowa. Gorgeous bloom.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Beautiful, Rich. Shirley, that is Bignonia capreolata, Crossvine: http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/1789/index.html hardy to Zone 6. Logee's has it if you are interested.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That's what I thought, but I'd never seen one so up close and personal. Thanks Clare. I'm going to go there this late winter and place an order. I'll have to try this one.

Sure, Shirley. I like this one too. I think Rich's is called "Tangerine Beauty." I have the regular one. There is a pink one also. Interestingly, this one is difficult to root from cuttings, but I'm still trying. I do have a small seed pod for the first time though.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Congrats. I need to sit back and do some planning because it will have to come back into the house in the fall. Will have to also do some research on cutting back and the consequences of doing that. LOL!

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

I bought one of these late last year and couldn't decide where to put it and it got left in a pot on the deck. Hopefully it will make it through the winter.

Robin

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Put a sheet over it if it gets frosty.

Robin, this vine is hardy to Zone 6 (minus 10 degrees F) so you don't have to worry about the effect of the cold.

Shirley, I think this vine flowers are new growth so it would do fine if you cut it back and brought it in for the winter. I think it has a fairly large root system though because it wants to be a massive vine so you might have to do some root pruning as well. It also appears to be a very slow grower -- at least for me. Mine has been in the ground for two years, and it is really not that big or full. It responds well to pruning and branches at each cut.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm going to give it a shot. I have some 20 gallon pots begging for something besides brugs to grow in them. I can put a 4 or 5 ft. trellis in it and then just cut back to that height for fall. Might be able to handle it. Then again, maybe I should cut lower to encourage more branching. Will just have to watch it and see what it looks like. Thanks for the info Clare.

Sure, Shirley. That sounds great. If you get one from Logee's, it just starts out as a little thing, and it may take a year or two to build up to a 20-gallon size container. I noticed that mine is sending out new vines from the base here at the end of the second year so that should provide some more fullness to the vine. As you said, you will be able to watch it and see and shape it the way you want it. I usually prefer vines which have flowers with some fragrance, but I just can't help liking this one.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm with ya. I love fragrance, but the colors are just wonderful on these.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.