Peonies: your most fragrant//big/beautiful etc.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I love Peonies but I only have a few unnamed ones but would like some suggestions for fragrant and big bloomers.
Also would like suggestions on a good mail order sources for Peonies.
Thanks! :))
Post your photos too please!

Peonies in Waterford Crystal

This message was edited Dec 3, 2004 8:49 PM

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose

White n' Fluffy

Beautiful!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

here's one of my favorite. sorbert peony. i have purchase them from wayside gardens.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2004 5:54 PM

Thumbnail by daylily970

ooohhh...that is very pretty!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I am also a lover of peonies. I have Sarah Barnhart, Festiva Maxima, Bowl of Beauty, Moon Over Nippon, Sword Dance, Dr. Alex Fleming and Felix Crosse. The Dr and Felix were just put in this past fall. My best bloomer is the Sarah Barhart, shes a old trooper, very fragrant too.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure what my Peonies are, but they are very old. I dug up these from my old homestead in 1 very large "clump" and unceromoniously divided and transplanted them in a different zone about 500 km away. This picutre is the year after transplanting. They are extremely fragrant and just beautiful. I think they may be Amabilis (Calot 1856)??

Thumbnail by JoSnoop
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Here's a close-up.
Joanne

Thumbnail by JoSnoop

Ahhh...more pretty peonies!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

cottage_rose - here's a tree peony.

Thumbnail by daylily970
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

C-Rose-
...just LOVE the wallpaper you have! lol...I noticed the gorgeous flowers first, but then noticed the wallpaper in the background...really pretty!
-T

LOL
Glad you like the wallpaper. :)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

JoSnoop... very lovely pink peony you have. I don't think their is a peony I don't love. I would really like to have one of those new yellow ones!

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Kathys999
Where might one have a look at these "yellow ones" - or at least a glimpse of some of your beaut's? Would you have a possible name for mine??

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

JoSnoop--

Here are some links to look at peonies and the varieties.

http://www.songsparrow.com

http://www.homesteadfarms.com/

and the yellow one.... http://www.dutchbulbs.com/spring/z32906.74078.html

If you can find any of those varieties at Walmart, they are certainly cheaper, I've never mail ordered a peony but once, it was off Ebay. I don't have any pictures of my peonies but I will next spring. I didn't have a digital camera until their bloom season was over with.

I'm not a peony expert by any means and some of them can look so similar to each other, it would be hard for me to say what yours is. It could be Kansas?

I'd love to get a peony co-op going sometime, which would have to be in the fall, for thats when its time to plant them.

Kathy

...if you love peonies, the Khelms Song Sparrow Catalog is really nice to have, very nice pictures and a great resource book. :)

Yes Khelms catalog is great for Peonies, Hostas and Daylilys.

Corte Madera, CA

wow, thank you for sharing these BEAUTIES and the reputable nurseries/catalogs where to get them. they are favorite subjects of PAINTINGS, and i can see why.

today i went to COSTCO and bought 6 to grow. i am so excited already, but i know they will take some time to get big and bloom.

moonglow

p.s.
it's such a treat today. SUNNY in northern california.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2005 6:23 PM

MG
I recently bought a peonie print. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it...if I remmeber ;)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I thought about getting some of my hydrangea pictures printed at Walmart in one of those machines.. .and framing them for my walls. That way it would be MY art, not someone else's. ha

Corte Madera, CA

i'm with you both! that's why i want to grow them now, and when they bloom, i am PAINTING them!

i hope you remember to post pictures! please keep them coming.

=)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Moonglow.. never fear, I'm all about peonies when they are blooming. Peony nuts is more like it. To me there is NOTHING to compare to the smell of a peony or lilac.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

BTW Cottage Rose, never commented on your pictures, they are gorgeous, those white and pink ones together. I love bringing them into the house, they scent up a whole room.

Thanks Kathy ;))
MG make sure to post pics of your paintings when you are done.
Heres my Peony print but this photo doesn't do it justice.
The shiny glass didn't help either...but it is very pretty and looks like an old oil painting...cracked paint and all.

Heres a couple more Peony pics

Un-named Pink

Corte Madera, CA

cottage_rose, thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures!

You are most welcome MG! :))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.