Waterbed heaters???

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Has anyone ever used a waterbed heater, for bottom heat ? If so how did you use them, and did they work?? I have a few laying around, never could throw them out, thinking they might work for a bottom heater.....any input will be appreciated~ thanks Debra~

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Hi Debra, I use one for seed starting, I just put the themometer under the mat, then the tray on top of the map. I have it turned up to 90 degrees because when it was set at 70 I couldn't feel any heat. It could be that my themometer is off, just use trial and error. Joelle

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Joelle thanks soooooooo much for your input....I'm going to try one, just wondering if they were safe to use....sounds like you had no probs....so it's worth a try~ Thanks again! Debra~

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

;o)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My old waterbed heater has been in service for several seasons as a seed starting mat. I lay a thermometer next to the seed tray and try to keep it about 70-80. I am on the lookout for another one since I can get 1 and 1/2 trays on mine, so I keep moving them around so they all get their turn.

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Mary thanks so much for the input!! I was wondering if they'd be safe....but didn't see how they wouldn't be as long as I don't get them wet....I start my seeds in the little greenhouse flats you can buy at Walmart, so the bottom of the tray will be dry that would be laying on the wb mat~ Thanks again!! Debra~

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Mine is enclosed in rubber. If you have had a waterbed remember that it has a liner to catch leaks from the waterbed mattress. Ours leaked several times and we didn't get electocuted, just wet! I don't worry about getting the heater wet.

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Yep I've saved this heater from our old waterbed.........I thought about using it for a year or two, just never did...I'll definitely be using it this winter. I have some fresh tacca seed that I need to start...and will be using the WB heater to keep them happy. I'll start with the lowest heat, and go from there~ In fact I'll be keep my eyes open for others from garage sales & such~ thanks again Mary~

Deridder, LA

Great idea & I was getting aggervated at my husband for wanting to save the thing. lol

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

you dirt mongers sure got great ideas ive got a new one and was thinking the same thing but was concerned that it might burn up! the instructions say it must have the weight of the water on to work right but that aint the case is it.

Belwood, ON(Zone 5a)

I've used an old waterbed heater for a couple of seasons now and thought what a smart idea it was but just last week I had a MAJOR problem with it. Seems the thermostat went on the haywire and didn't shut off. I've lost a whole tray of seeds as the soil was steaming it got so hot from the heat. Not sure I'd use another one now, it was kind of scary how hot it got, it acutally melted part of the seed tray.

Sunkeeper

Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

We used an old water bed heater last year. Had constructed a seed bed 3'x6' out of 2x4s with a cedar slat bottom. Came home from work one day to dense smoke coming out of the door to our greenhouse. We lost the seed tray and wooden bench it was sitting on. Not sure what happened (suspect the thermostat), but would use caution when using these devices.

Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm using one of those hearting cables that you use on a roof to prevent icicles. I have it in the raised bed where I'm growing lettuce, but I plan to use it for bottom heat when I start seedlings. It keeps the temp about 15 degrees above the outside temperature. I can water over it because it's meant to be outside in the weather.

MJ

Fulton, MO

A fellow I know nearly burned his garage down using a waterbed heater in this fashion. FYI. SB

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

My husband freaked when I asked him about using one he said that they are one of the most misused appliances on the market and very dangerous. He is an electrical engineer that does the compliance testing for a small kitchen appliance company. So I can't get away with anything around here, be safe and use products made for the job, GH heat cables are inexpensive when compared with losing your home. I made a propagation table with a heat cable at the bottom with sand works great.

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks to everyone with the great advice, and stories of experience...guess the waterbed heater is heading to the thrift store!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.