Whiteflies Help!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What will kill whiteflies in eggs, nymph and adult form? Anything that I can go to Home Deopt to buy and not have to order?

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Your best bet is to repeat applications of whatever at least three times 7 to 10 days apart. I don't think there is anything that will affect all the stages of any insect. Jessamine

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know, you have asked that question a few times, I can tell you what I do.
This probably goes against what most people would do ( ?), but:
My plants get a a good watering with "Orthene" about a week before they go inside in Fall. ( According to label direction and on a calm day). Certain plants I have simply given up on, I do not bring inside Tropical Hibiscus, Plumeria and such, im my hands- no matter what I did, they became infested with Whiteflies.
Now luckily I do have a greenhouse nowadays. I find that I can keep certain pests down (Whiteflies are amongst them), by watering the whole plant, leaves and all with rain water. I am talking here about plants like the large- leaved Crown of Thorns, Orchids, the tops of Adenium obesum and Aristolochia and such. I do "spot cleaning" with Safer's soap, but if I really have a problem, I use Orthene. But if you have Pets, and depending on your arrangements, the latter has to be used with caution, and outside.
As AlohaHoya always says, control the ants and many of your bug problems go away. I do agree.
Once you have them, see above Jessamine's post.
Ursula

Wauconda, IL

Safer's Soap. Much "safer" than Orthene. It's just a lower level chemical, that's all. April

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_006477.htm

Interesting!!!! I have not tried this but a Co-op was just concluded. Did you order any?

Judy

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I used to use Safers but it wasn't strong enough to wage much damage in my war against plant pests. I use some kind of home and garden spray now, not insecticidal soap. Seems to be working better b/c the whitefly numbers are down but not gone yet. I'll have to check and see if it worked on an aphid infestation my brug had.

Nothing seems to get rid of mealy bugs though. I've done that water and alcohol and soap mixture, insecticidal soap, my home and garden spray and 100% alcohol. They disapear for a few days but always come back and spread to yet another plant.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

The only way I am able to keep Mealies in check is with Orthene. If I don't kill the guys which sit in the roots, they will just come back and eat the Safer's soap for breakfast!! At least in my hands.

Thanks, Judy
I checked out the site. I have read some threads here on that stuff. Does it truly work?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

So they do get in the roots too then. I'll have to unpot and check the damage. I'll also be stopping at home depot to pick up some orthene (if they have it).

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I brought a large Brug into the basement to overwinter; it had whiteflies.
I've been using horticultural oil and it got rid of all of them.

Paul

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

horticultural oil?? What is that and where do you get it!!

Judy

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Its a very light oil, (the one I have is cottonseed oil)
You mix it with water and spray on the leaves.
The oil coats the insects and smothers them.
I think I got mine at Gardeners Supply.

Paul

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information with everyone.

Judy

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I checked and I got the oil at Gardens Alive.

Paul

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What's Orthene? Is it a powder? Does it target the pests below soil line? Where can I get me some?

I've got to treat the plant fast or I'll lose my only blue hibiscus!

This message was edited Dec 23, 2004 2:38 AM

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

This link describes it. You can get it at any garden center.
It's a pesticide.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rosecare1/pe004-1.html

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

ditto for the new Mealybug question, see link :-)

This message was edited Dec 23, 2004 8:53 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.