Question about Thunbergia laurifolia

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

I ordered some rooted cuttings of vines from Logee's in September. I'm presently keeping them and other things in a large, old aquarium used as my 'incubator'.

One of the items I ordered was labeled Thunbergia Antigua. This plant is in fact Thunbergia laurifolia. Thunbergia laurifolia is almost identical in every way to Thunbergia grandiflora except it blooms on fairly large panicles instead of ones, twos, or threes.

I repotted this plant immediately into a 4-inch pot. Now it's got a cluster of buds (about 10).

Here is an image of a mature plant: http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/images/hires/starr_031108_0129_thunbergia_laurifolia.jpg

I've never grown this vine before, although I have a large T. mysorensis presently growing on a trellis. The T. laurifolia appears to be quite vigorous.

Anyone else growing this vine? Anything I should be made aware of? Thanks.

-Ron-

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I grow sky blue vine, which is similar but not the same. The only problems I've seen would be spider mites.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Ron, your pictures are always awesome! I grow Thunbergia mysorensis also, which I just put in the ground this past summer. I remember a picture of your T. mysorensis that is breath-taking. I also have T. greggii, T. erecta, and T. battiscombi but not T. antigua. That blue is wonderful though. They seem to be easy, fairly nondemanding vines that bloom well in shade and that don't mind being rootbound. In fact, I've heard that they bloom better when the root system is contained. I did have a problem with spider mites a couple of summers ago on my T. greggii, but a good spraying with the hose on a regular basis fixed that problem.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

The laurifolia are a bit lighter in color than the grandiflora. Almost like a "faded" grandiflora...Identical in all other aspects.
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.