Can you help?

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

My friend as a honeysuckle that every spring the aphids attack. Is this common. She has tried the washing of the leaves, but it looks awful. She has another one in the same area with no problem. Any advice?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I haven't had any aphid problems on honeysuckly before, are you certain that's what it is?

An insecticidal soap should help, just be careful how you spray and where. If you're finicky about insecticides, a spray made up of 3 parts alcohol to 4 parts water with a squirt of dishwashing soap could help.

Or even live ladybugs. They feed on aphids.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

My friend has a Dropmoor scarlet honeysuckle that the aphids attack every year, nothing seems to keep them away and she's tried everything. After the aphids are there for a while the ladybugs come and eat them.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lonicera maackii??

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Yes, it's like Calalily says! We have tons of ladybugs here too. Thanks for your help!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I have one that the aphids love. Generally I catch them in time and the garden hose does the trick, but the first year, they ruined the plant for the whole summer.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have found that using the granular rose food with systemic in it on most of my plants is a very effective way to fight off aphid.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

What is systemic?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Systemic is bug killer. It can be in liquid or solid form. I use the granular that comes with fertilizer.
The plant ingests it, then when aphid suck out the juices of your plant, they are killed.
Here is the one I use:
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/garden/products/details.cfm?id=3

It cannot be used on anything that is grown for food, for obvious reasons, and is not recommended for container plants. I am not clear why, it has never harmed any of my container plants.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks, How about around pets? Sounds like a great idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.