Iris type?

Pleasantville, NY(Zone 6a)

I got Iris maackii (or mackii) seeds from North American Rock Garden Society this spring. I searched the web to get info on them. The only thing I found was someone thought they were a synonym for Iris laevigata. I hope not, because that Iris only grows in water so I understand. These are supposed to have a yellow flower. They are just seedlings yet.
Does anyone know anything about their growing needs, care, etc?
Much appreciate and thanks ahead of time.
Runew

I ran a search and this is all the information I can find.

Iris maackii is a waterside iris with a yellow flower.

I. laevigata seems to be listed separately.

Thanks Baa,
The seedlings are growing like crazy. I'll be looking forward to see if they're truly yellow. I don't have a waterside. Oh, well....
Runew

Lawrencetown, NS(Zone 5a)

I don't know about these particular plants but what I have seen to get around not having a waterside was to put the plant in a pot and sit the pot in a 'big' saucer of water all the time. Worked great. Of couse what I saw couldn't withstand the winter so they had to be brought inside. That might not be the case with your iris'.

Hope this might help some.

Darlene

Thanks Darlene,
Since I really don't know if it IS a water iris and since life is too short to put it in water and bring it in the house for winter, I think I will just plant it out in August and let it fend for itself. The area is quite moist. If it isn't happy, too bad. I'm all for tough love with plants. A little staking up is about the limit for me. That and slug wars.
However, I truly thank you for the comments. I love this site for the nice people on it!
Runew

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

why don't you make a mini bog garden in an old half barrel, it would certainly like that.

lil

What a neat idea, Lilith.
If I can find a barrel in this very suburban area of the country, that might work for me.
Thanks,
Ruth

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

garden centres sometimes sell them, or you might be able to get something mail order.

lil

Thanks, lil
Ruth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.