Weeping Norway Spruce 'Reflexa' (Picea abies)

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Weeping Norway Spruce 'Reflexa'
Picea abies

Weeping Norway Spruce

Thumbnail by designart
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

That is sooo cool.Jody

Thanks Jody. This is a nursery specimen waiting for a good home. I wish they would keep this neat form as they mature, but so often I see large irregular speciments that just don't look good. Maybe training and support would help!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I wish I could afford it.I'd give it a good home.LOL.Jody

They look great when you frame an entrance to a pool area, garden etc. One weeping norway on either side of an entrance gives it an enchanted feel.

Bonnie

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I bet it is.LOL. Jody

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Bonnie, that is beautiful. Do you have two in the picture? From the bottom of the picture, it looks like two trunks but the top of the picture looks like one trunk bent over to form the arch.

Hi Trunnels:

No, this is just one specimen. However, it was taken in a nursery and there are other plants behind it. This one had a wonderful form, flaired bottom, candy cane arch and more needles! I loved it!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Is this the same one? It was here when we moved here. I don't think it's as blue.

Thumbnail by boojum

Yes, that is a Weeping Norway Spruce. The form of the plant is very variable and they tend to get odd shapped with maturity. You could prune your specimen to open it up somewhat if you don't like the overall shape. I would wait until early spring before pruning. Maybe a nice mulch ring around the plant would help to show it off and set it apart from the background.

Good Luck!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Oh! I just thought they all look like this. Do you have an idea about pruning? Do you mean thin it out so the branches look less clunky, more weepy/asian(scandinavian?)? Would you open up the middle more? I haven't seen enough photos of it to get a vision on it. Tell me more.

They are very individual in their appearance. I guess it also depends on how they were grown in the nursery. Yes, you could prune it to thin it out so you can see more of the trunk and the weeping form. Just like you would selectively prune mature specimens of Japanese Cutleaf Maples so they don't become a large ball! I would think early spring would be the best time to prune, but you should probably check with someone who has more pruning experience than I do. Maybe try the master gardeners forum etc.

Good luck with the pruning...hopefully you can work toward a more scandinavian look!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Can the cuttings be rooted?Thanks,Jody

That I don't know. I have seen some contractors plant specimens that started to weep so low, that they were virtually growing across the ground like Junipers. Really poor specimens and I would imagine that was due to the way they were grown from the nursery. Let me know if you find out anything.

I just know this is one plant I always tell my customers to select personally. Each plant is totally unique, so don't let your contractor pick it for you!

Bay Center, WA(Zone 5a)

Thank you, we have this in our front yard. It must be very mature, I'd guess 15-20 yrs thereabouts. Your guess? We know a bit about the history of this house when we bought it; that the previous owners were very specific in choosing the plantings and lived in the house 20 + years, we benefit now with the maturity of the selected plantings. Including a photo so you can see the size of the Weeping Norway Spruce they planted and guess it's age. I had seen this offered at nurseries at a spendy price, and wanted one for my own yard when we bought a home, but did not know the name so am pleased to find it here with photos. Imagine my delight to have the bonus of this fully mature 'don't know it's name, but know it's pricey and a much desired landscape centerpiece' ..... and now I know it's name.

Thumbnail by coastgarden
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Where can I buy a baby one?thanks,Jody

Coastgarden...glad you know now what you have. Look at the trunk to estimate the age of the plant. It's really had to guess without seeing the trunk. It does look like a mature specimen, and attractive too.

Jody...we can find these at almost any of our better local nurseries. Isn't there anyone at DG selling or trading them? Just make sure you at least get pictures of the plant before you buy it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.