What size pots?

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

Hi All,
How do you know what size pot to use for flowers? Say it grows to 2 foot is there some kind of rule of thumb to use like inch for each foot or something like that?
Thanks,
laylarose

Lyles, TN

Laylarose: It's hard to come up with a rule of thumb for all plants. Some like to be crowded in a pot that's really too small for optimum plant growth, but it makes them bloom better. It's really the roots you're concerned with, anyway. Ask yourself does this plant have more/ less roots? Generally speaking tho, the larger your pot, the less often you have to water. Happy gardening ! :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Lalarose!

I have always stuffed my containers full of annuals when I've planted them; you can get away with more in a container than the spacing recommended when you plant them in the ground. Here are some really good links:

General info about container gardening:
http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~ohioline/hyg-fact/1000/1254.html

Here's a commercial site which recommends how many to plant of various types: http://www.ameriprod.com/nursery.htm . Most of them say 3-4 per 10" pot, but some vary.

I use polymer crystals in my containers for water retention, but I have an acquaintance who's had great success lining the bottom of his containers with pieces of cut up sponge; the sponges absorb liquid when he waters while still allowing for drainage, and when the soil around them becomes dry, it absorbs the water from the sponges. He said he and his wife left their container plants unwatered for nearly a week this way with no problem.

:o) HTH!
Kimberley

This message was edited Monday, Jun 18th 1:18 PM

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much! Have to go to dollar tree and buy some of those sponges. Such a good idea. Don't know if ya'll have a wal-mart near but they have 8 inch pots in white green and creamy color for .97 and they have drain bowl. Daughter works there so I get 10% discount.LOL and boy do I need it.
Thanks again,
laylarose

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Kimberly...that is a really good idea with the sponges. I spend an awfully lot of time watering my plants that are in containers. I will definitely be trying that one
Sandy

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Kimberly, that is a very good idea. Now I have an excuse to experiment with yet another container! ;0)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Great idea with the sponges I'm going to give it a try.
Alot less money that Soil Moist.

Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.