Physo-Sanitary Certificates- How do you get them in US?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi, I need some help - I have someone wanting me to export some seeds out of the US (they didn't give me their country yet) and they want a Phytosanitary Certificate with them. I have looked and looked in the web sites I can find and mostly I see about IMPORTING stuff and getting certificates but not how do you get one in the US to export to another country. I also find stuff on importing and exporting PLANTS, but not seeds . .

Does anyone know how I go about getting one of these certificates?

Here is the web site I was looking at, but couldn't really find the right info, is there somewhere else I should be looking?

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/permits/phytosanitary/index.html

I put in a call to my State dept of Agriculture nursery inspector, but, of course, he's not going to be working today . . . and again, he usually deals in plants, so I don't know if he would know anything about this or not.

Any help or point in the right direction would be appreciated . ..

Thanks,
Onalee

This message was edited Nov 27, 2004 7:49 PM

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi Onalee, I think Cala still sells them. Hope this helps. http://calastropicals.com/module/store/vbc/615/

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shelly,
Thanks for the link - Cala is selling these to their customers who are buying their plants; this is what I need to be able to do but I can't find a link on the Dept of Ag web site on how to obtain these permits for EXPORTING seeds to other countries. . .

I tried to call dept of Ag on Friday - of course, couldn't find a live person there that day, I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Onalee

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Im sorry Onalee! Maybe someone will come along and help.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Call your local Dept of Agriculture. They are the ones who issue the phytos. You will probably need to have a greenhouse/nurserymans license in order to purchase a phyto, but your inspector will be able to help you get that too. There is usually a fee for the nursery license in addition to the fee for a phyto.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

But doesn't she need to know the country they are going to - to comply with their rules?

Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

I looked into bringing some blubs into Canada from England. I was told that I would have to apply for the certificate from the country that they were being shipped from... I am not sure how it is in USA.

Anna

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

You apply for a phyto certificate in the country you are shipping from. The person shipping the plants/seeds has to have been the grower of said plants/seeds. The phyto is good only for one shipment, to one address and you must know the address of the person you are sending to. Sometimes they must have an import license and send you a permit from their country before you can get a phyto from your country to send to them. Your local USDA office can explain it to you.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

THANK YOU all for your help! I do have a nursery lic anyway - I called the guy that did that 'inspection' and he said, yes, he was the one that could issue a phyto cert - for $35. Strange that the link that Kelly gave above the cost was $30 - you'd think they would be consistent - isn't this a federal thing?! Apparently, he is supposed to look up any restrictions for the country I'm sending them too - at least he said he would do that. He gave me the web site (which I had already found, which was less than helpful on how to obtain these certs!), but does have a PDF file with the web sites and contacts of the other countries and you have to find that web site and search through it to find out what seeds are restricted. I know the post office has restrictions and prohibitions on their web site, but I don't know how up to date or complete that info is.

Anyway - I've got it figured out now and I thank all of you for your help and input!

Onalee

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.