This was my GH this morning

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

After a snow storm!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

inside looking at roof-its weird when the snow is on there-makes it darker!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

another from inside looking towards the house!
thats a lone artichoke growing out there still -some cannas inside too!

It was 14 outside and 42 inside!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm jealous of all that white stuff!!! Here we're just cold. I have my first Paperwhites blooming in my greenhouse. I plant about 25 pots every 10 days and sell them for Relay for Life.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

What a great idea Linga makes a quilt a year and our yard was on tour last year and I usually give her lots of dalliha bulbs and flower starts for the same purpose. I have never forced bulbs could you see your way clear to post specifc instructions as to size of container and contents and culture the whole bit. If not I would and so would Linda appreciate it if you could E mail us just how to do it . Thanks from Linda, my self and the recipents. would the tiny Daffiold I see in the stores early spring work to? Ernie

Oh I also do Muscari, Specie Crocus, Hyacinths, Tete a Tete and Amaryllis for the same purpose, but they take into January to flower.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

notmartha, Marvelous greenhouse/pics...
Do you heat your greenhouse? How cold do you let it get? Do you use through the winter? How big is it? (it looks like a good size...10x20? 8x16?
Yes, I have a zillion questions. I am in the process of thinking about building. Still not sure what will be feasible/practical.

Hyacinth in soil

Hyacinths should be potted up by mid October. Use a regular potting medium and place the bulbs close together, but not touching. The pointy top of the bulbs should be about ˝ inch above the soil line. Water the bulbs well and place the pots in a cold (36 to 48 degrees), dark location for at least twelve weeks. If the bulbs start to heave up out of the soil during rooting, add a layer of gravel on top to weigh them down a bit. Do not cover the top of the bulbs. Keep the pots watered and in the dark until the sprouts are about one inch tall. At this point, move the pot to a cool (55 degrees), light location.

Crocus in soil

Crocus should be potted up by mid October. Use a six inch pot and place about 10 crocus corms closely together. Use a regular potting medium with a bit of sand for quick drainage. Cover the corms with one inch of soil and pat down firmly. Water well and place the pots in a cold (36 to 48 degrees F.) and dark location for about eleven weeks. Keep the pots watered so they remain moist to the touch. Be sure your “storage area” is “mouse proof” since they like crocus. After eleven weeks and the sprouts have appeared, move the pot to a cool (55 degrees F.), light location. After about two weeks, small, tear-shaped buds will appear in the foliage. Keep watering and flowers will bloom in several days.

Tulips in soil

Tulips should be potted up by mid October. Use a six inch pot and place about 6 tulips with the slightly flattened side to the outside of the pot. This is because the first leaf will appear on that side of the bulb. Cover the tulips just barely with soil. Water the bulbs well and place the pots in a cool (36 to 48 degrees F.) dark location for at least 16 weeks. Keep the pots watered so they remain moist to the touch. Again, rodents do like tulips as well, so make sure they can not get to them. After the sixteen weeks, sprouts should be about three to four inches tall, place the pots in a cool (55 degrees F) bright location and they should bloom in about three weeks.

Paperwhites in soil

Paperwhites can be planted in intervals of ten to fourteen days. Use a regular potting medium and place 3-5 bulbs in a six inch pot and fill with soil until it covers the bulbs about two third. Water well and make sure the bulbs stay partially covered. Place the pots at room temperature (65 degrees F.) in a bright location and they should bloom in about four to six weeks.

Narcissus in soil

Narcissus should be potted up by mid October. Use a six inch pot and place 3-5 bulbs (depending on their size) close together. Use regular potting soil and fill with soil until they are barely covered. Water well and place the pots in a cool (36-48 degrees F.), dark location for fifteen weeks. Keep the pots watered so they remain moist to the touch. After fifteen weeks sprouts should show about 3 to 4 inches tall, place the pots in a bright and cool (55 degrees F.) location and they should bloom in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Bleek TY

NotMartha what kind of heat do you have in your gh? Are those insluated glass panels from sliding doors ? Very nice Ernie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

esw
No id do not use it durning the winter months to much $$$$$ to keep heated on our cold winter nites
Its 12x16 and leakes see the buckets!!

Its made out of thermal windows and the door is from a sliding door. Most of the windows are tinted. The base is treated lumber.
Total cost was 300.00-that was for the wood we used the windows were all free
I have 4 crank outs with screens in the roof and one at the west and east sides all for ventilation!

In the winter it can be 20 outside and 70s inside-but the at night she freezes!

DH and I built it 4yrs ago and we built the plant table things-shoe told me to use the rabbit cage wire!
The floor is 6inches of well packed sand covered with upside down carpet
It has electricity and running water!
DH got this one rack at walmart(dumpster)its wood and is great-he nailed it to the north wall!

**Bert if i could send you some snow I would ;)

And I could send you some dehydrated water in cans just in case the water pipe freezes. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.