Poor confused gloriosa lily vine

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hurricane Ivan confused everything. Plants that usually bloom in spring or early summer are blooming again for some reason. Mock orange, bradford pears, and even this gloriosa lily vine, which normally blooms around June.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I noticed mine were coming up already and wondered if that was 'normal". We didn't have a hurricane, but have had weird weather this year for sure.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Mine usually start coming up around March or April. This is such strange weather.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I know, it was hot last evening, around 80*F at sunset, then the wind started blowing and it was 58 this morning! It warmed up fast, but the wind is still blowing. We had that cold spell a few weeks ago, then hot, now chilly..........one never knows what the weather is going to do down here!

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Lisa,
Did you know that there is a solid yellow one too? I just found this info/photos while surfing.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have seen pictures of it . There is also an orange one. This one starts out red and yellow. Within a few days it turns pure red. The tubers multiply like crazy.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

I just checked the pot mine are in and nothing coming up... it is very odd that others are starting to come out so early.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

You should be able to put your gloriosas in the ground in the zone you live in. I am in zone 8b and mine are in the ground. They grow much better, bigger, and multiply faster in the ground

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

rylaff, the baby-tubers you generously shared with me are doing great! I had to plant them in a pot because I live in an apartment, but I shared a couple with a friend that planted them in the ground in her garden. I do not expect them to bloom this season (it's spring here!!!) and am willing to wait a year or two to enjoy their beautiful flowers.

The friend with whom I shared your tubers gave me a baby-tuber of her solid yellow one. I had that one in the house during winter and it started growing like crazy and then suddenly one day the whole plant wilted. I suspect I must have had an open window for longer than the plant could stand the cold (or the cold air current). It is on the balcony now, together with yours, but has not set new growt so far. I hope I did not kill the tuber! Should I ever have this tuber produce babies, the first one will be for you.

In my heart I thank you every time I water my babies.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am so glad you are enjoying them. The one that is blooming now was actually planted this spring. I am surprised to seeing it blooming this time of year, especially since it was only put in the ground this year.

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

I will let you know if mine bloom this year, rylaff.

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

I saw seeds for this on ebay. If I grew it from seed would it take forever to bloom. It's very pretty.

Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.