Adenium Question

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

I moved all 13 of my relatively-new adenium into the greenhouse about a month ago. I seem to be losing all the leaves, and many of the stems seem soft. The greenhouse is kept at 40-45 degrees, and I am very careful about watering. I don't think I've watered them in a month. The max temperature for the past month hasn't exceeded about 75, but I have about 100% humidity. Can anyone tell me why they think the plants are so unhappy? Are they just going dormant, or are they dying?

- Kathleen (Zone 6, NW Rhode Island)

Valley Village, CA

Well the rest of the group hasn't responded yet,
I would get the temp. up to 55F at least. They may be going dormant. I don't grow this species so will need to look up the cultural care. If you think they are rotting, take them out of the soil so they can dry out and replant into fresh dry mix. I'm going to look it up right now, because I want to know as well. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Depending which species you have. They grow in the following countries Arabia, Socotra, SE and tropical Africa. This book doesn't discuss cultural treatment at all. Off to another book. OKay I found a clue, they are part of the Periwinkle Family.
Adenium have a tuft of hair on both ends of their seed. Adeniums are not catus looking they have a smooth bark. They only come from two places in the world. Adenium obesum "Desert Rose" is E. Africa, and will have a bottom thickened trunk. All species need (love) warmth, and will take ample water only when in leaf. Also S. W Africa. " I obtained this information from the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Succulents and Cacti Gordon Rowley. This is very briefly explained here. Adaenium boehmianum is the 'Impala Lily'.
Your species are easily confused with Pachypodium. You only have 6 to choose from in the Genus, most of which are subsp. I hope this will help you. Norma

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

They love it hot, or at least warm sunshine! I keep mine at minimum 60 degr F.

Valley Village, CA

Ruk, I'm with you, the warmer the better, we greenhouse ours except during the summer months, we water and fertilize weekly then. We watch for them to leaf out and pour it on, so they get as much growth as we can push them, we give them 80% shade cloth at that time however. Norma

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Anything below 60, and they'll usually enter a dormant stage, completely defloiating. No biggie. Give them a little water now and then, but no more than they'll absorb fully within a 3 day period.

I was happy to see this thread because I've had the same problem with my baby adeniums. I have since moved them to the kitchen window but most of them are bald!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

It's normal for most Adeniums to lose their leaves, they are doing dormant. Adeniums do not like cold/wet. It's also normal for the caudex to get soft. I have mine sitting underneath my patio and don't water during the winter. The ones I have inside under grow lights I water very lightly once per month. I don't start watering again until I see some growth, usually around April. I start gradually with a small amount of watering, if you water too much too soon, they will rot. HTH!!

Blessings,
Awanda

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Since they are going dormant, make sure the soil stays dang near bone dry. Too much water while dormant (and even a small amount can be too much) and they will rot in a heartbeat. If the bases are feeling soft, #1, I would inspect closely for signs of rot, and #2, NO MORE WATER until you are sure there is no rot.

With these guys, it is ALWAYS best to err on the dry side. They can go so much longer without any water than they can with a drop too much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.