November 22, 2004

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

So the last couple of days I have been preparing for a "new" dog. My Hubby heard that there was a dog impoundment. Over 100 dogs were taken from one place last week. Lots of dogs needed homes.. Hmmm... We had a lonely rat terrier. We thought he needed a buddy. Off we go to the Humane Society to look for a "lap" type barky dog. They did have some cute little dogs.. But nothing really grabbed my attention. Then there she was with those big droopy eyes looking at me. A Great Pyrenees. Yep. I was weak. She had to spend a couple extra days at the Humane Society to be spayed. She's a little sore and resting comfortable on the Living Room Floor. I did walk her out to meet the sheep and goats.. Oh my, they were distressed. My usually calm flock , moved together in a mass and stared at her, ready for anything. The Matriach ewe remembered the dog attack a few years back... She looked rather threatening, and stomped ... The new dog didn't even seem to notice. It will be a slow move outside to work the pastures. I will probably keep her in a pen next to a couple of ewes for a couple days and then slowly introduce her to the rest. I'm not sure how to train an adult dog to be a livestock guard dog , or even if it's possible. Would love any input on this. This dog is about 3 years old and was found as a stray. I can tell the house is too warm for her. She is searching out the drafts under the doors for cool. I'm naming her Aspen.

I was delighted to get to visit with Leaflady today. We had a nice talk and I wasn't sooo extremely busy at work.

We are buckling down for some nasty weather come Wednesday.. Firewood is stacked and Hay is out for the livestock. I keep meaning to take some pictures of my half Holstein/ half Simmental heifers. They are pretty cute.

Hope everyone has a great day.

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!