Spring Dreaming? Show Me your Iris!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Watching my poor iris shiver out there in the cold makes me long for Spring. How about cheering me with your favorite iris photos? Shall I start with Tiger Honey?

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Every year I look forward to seeing old friends blooming in my iris beds, but I get a special thrill out of seeing first-time bloomers I can photograph for my iris website. Here are a few of my favorite first-timers from this last bloom season.

'Snow Tree' SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Ruby Wings' SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Pilgrims' Choice' SDB

You really have to see this one in person to fully appreciate the subtle intricacies of its colors. It's mesmerizing.

Thumbnail by laurief
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

wow those are Prudy did not have digital during bloom last year but look out this year .

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Pele' SDB

One of a kind in its color class, as far as I know.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Ringer' SDB

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Cute or What' SDB

Thumbnail by laurief

Laurie, as usual your pics awe me! What lovely dwarfs!!! Pepe and Ringer really stand out for me.

Here is my favorite orange: Firebreather

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Now THAT's orange! I might have to get my hands on a rz of that one to see if it'll be one of those rare TBs that can survive in my garden. 'Firebreather' is certainly breathtaking!

If you like 'Ringer', you should love 'Firestorm' SDB as well.

Laurie

Thumbnail by laurief
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

This one reminds me of 'Firestorm' but it's a TB. Anyone know it's name?

Thumbnail by boojum

BTW, I am smitten with Snow Tree!!!! Where did you get it, Laurie? Here's my fav SDB photo, but again I have no name-it was here when I got here. Anyone recognize it?

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's In the Buff. Not sure what category...too dark to see if it's on the label. It was so lovely.

Thumbnail by boojum

And another peachy one-Sonya's Selah (I think it's a BB).

Thumbnail by boojum

Boojum--pretty, pretty! keep the pics coming!

Laurie--Firebreather is the most vigorous orange in my garden--very strong and I don't baby it. The roots have been thru 2 really nasty winters, one drought summer & one wet summer. No special care. Remind me in the spring to dig you one. Hardened off in the wilds of Iowa--maybe it will like your garden too!

This is a beautiful orange & white that stuns visitors to my gardens. Performed very well this year despite an April 30 hard frost.
Aphrodisiac.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Boojum,

Isn't 'Snow Tree' just neat? I saw a pic of it several years ago in, I *think*, Aitken's Salmon Creek catalog and fell in love with it. Then last year some friends in KY sent me a piece. I'll see if mine has grown enough to split off a piece for you next summer. If not, check with Aitken's.

I absolutely LOVE 'Sonja's Selah' (note correct spelling), but the one time I tried it, it died before I got to see it bloom. I'd love to try it again sometime.

Wanda,

'Firebreather' definitely sounds like my kinda TB! I love that brilliant orange, and it sounds like it might just be tough enough to survive here. Tell you what. You send me 'Firebreather' next spring, and I'll send you 'Firestorm'. They should heat up our gardens nicely, don't you think? ;-)

Laurie

Sounds good to me! Remind me in April--I'm old and my brain is feeble.

Abstract Art--an unusual color combo.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Laurie - That Snow Tree is magnificent!! I've never seen such an unusual looking iris. Lovely.

This is a no-name that I got from my grandmother's gardens after she passed away 2 years ago. From the form I'm thinking it's an historic?? Wanda?

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Here's an orange unknown also from Grandma's gardens.....

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

This one is Ensemble TB Love the richness of the color in this one.

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

And good ole cheery Sunray Reflection.....

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

uhhh.....Browse Brenda not Send...... here it is

Thumbnail by langbr

Brenda--that looks like a lovely iris they were breeding 100 years ago. Compact bloom & great colors. I haven't the faintest idea if it has a name or not, but I'd love to trade for it next spring. (Always looking for more historics for my collection...)
And an orange unknown? That's tough! So few of them around. i'd love to meet your Granny... :)

Laurie, I'll check if I have enough Sonja and we can trade! Here's my old iris garden before I moved.

Thumbnail by boojum
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Brenda,

That first unknown you posted looks like it might possibly be 'Rameses' or 'Frank Adams'. That's an ID I'm currently struggling with in my own garden. I received an iris as 'Rameses' from a friend, but the ID might have been incorrect (as happens with so many older historics). Then a friend who grows both R and FA looked at the pic of mine and thought it looked more like FA than R. This summer I received rzs of what are supposed to be accurately identified R and FA. If R, FA, and "probably either R or FA" will all bloom in the same year, perhaps I'll get to the bottom of all this and have a positive ID for my original plant.

In the meantime, here's a pic of the plant I originally received as 'Rameses', but which might be 'Frank Adams' or possibly something else altogether.

Laurie

Thumbnail by laurief

I was given this one by a historic iris person a couple of years ago as a "Ramses". Are there any good photography books on historics? Most of the old ones I find are in black & white.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2004 10:01 AM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda,

The best source I know of for color photos of historic irises is the HIPS website:

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/QFix.html

You will see that on that site, the photo of R looks more similar to your iris, while the photo of FA looks more similar to mine. FA, btw, is a child of R.

Laurie

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

All these Iris are so pretty, can't wait for all my new ones to bloom next spring....I hope they all do!

Brenda, that Sunray Reflection is gorgeous! So is the one behind it...do you have a name for that one?

Well, that's a relief! I thought it was Ramses, but misidentification is rampant.
Ramses is very prolific. Maybe we can do a little extra trading come spring.

I've run across that world iris link before and forgot about it. I like the historic collection on Argle Acres site too.

http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_list_historic.asp?historic_z=yes

Here is a dwarf that was a great bloomer this year "Urban Star"

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda,

'Urban Star' is very cute! I'm a sucker for a spot pattern.

I won't need Rameses, since a couple friends sent me starts of that one this summer, but I expect we'll have plenty of others to trade come spring. ;-)

Laurie

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Mendy - that is Mountain Melody in the background of the Sunray Reflection photo.

Laurie / Wanda -

I researched my unknown quite a bit on World Iris this summer and the closest match I came up with is PICADOR (1930). What do you think?

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Comp_variegata/Cultivar_Pix/Picador.html

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Brenda,

I'd forgotten about 'Picador', and I even grow the doggone thing!!! It hasn't bloomed for me yet, though (hasn't even increased beyond the original rz). Hmm. Now I'll have to hope that R, FA, P, *and* my "unknown R" all bloom in the same year so I can compare them! Chances are it won't happen next spring since I dug and divided almost all my TBs last summer. Ack.

'Picador' does look like a possible match for yours. You'll have to get your hands on a rz of that one for side by side growth/bloom comparisons in your garden.

Laurie

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Brenda. :-)

Port Costa, CA

I have so many irises but Striped Butterfly is my favorite. It's a historic oldie from 1958.....I guess that makes me a prehistoric oldie! LOL

Thumbnail by Merlie

Merlie--you've been holding out on me! I love the drooping falls & color variations on the old ones.

Inspiration

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Merlie - that's a pretty one! Love the striping on the falls. (what's that part of the iris called around the beard??)

One of my favorite rebloomers: Clarence!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wanda.... Where did you get Urban Star , please. That one is really cute. I managed to get Bumble Bee Delight. I hope it blooms next year. Not sure how long it will take itself to adjust.

Thumbnail by starlight1153
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

starlight1153, I'll be very interested to hear how 'Bumblebee Deelite' does for you. MTBs are generally known to perform best in cold winter areas. In fact, a friend in SC sent me most of her MTBs because she just couldn't get them to bloom in her warm climate. There are a few, though, that do bloom for her.

'Bumblebee Deelite' happens to be one of those rare MTBs that hates it in my northern garden, so perhaps it's one that prefers warmer temps.

Good luck!

Laurie

I can't remeber where I found "Urban Star", but I see Schreiners has it. I'm adding more dwarf and Intermdediates to my garden this year since they bloom earlier than the tall beardeds plus have some wonderful color combos.

I found alot of my Intermediates & Dwarfs at a Carolinas garden--Quail Hill Garden. He has some lovely Tall Beardeds too at prices you'll like. His catalog always has some " two for one " listings for an extra value.

http://www.gardeneureka.com/QUAIL/default.htm

"Peachy Face" is a sweet Intermediate from Quail Hill.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.