Seed Pods

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know these seed pods?

Thumbnail by Sequee
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

What does the actual seed look like....may I suggest you take a picture on a white background...

Deann

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

wild guess,are they rose of sharron? Ill watch for more pictures.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I thought rose of sharon too.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Funny - I thought Rose of Sharon when I saw the shrub, too, but I don't remember seeing any RoS blooms on the perimeter of my property before. When I get home I will take a few more shots - one on the sidewalk, one of the spent shrub, and one of an open pod.

Thanks for getting back to me. These shrubs have hundreds of pods and I thought to "rescue" them if they are for "something".

Thanks again for responding!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Sequee, I know it's getting late but maybe you can get a leaf picture too? That would help.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

They're wilted and yellow, but I'll get a photo!

Thanks!

NEW CUYAMA, CA

My guess is Magnolia..........

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

It was dark out when I got home, so I don't think the outside photos will be any good. And there are NO leaves at all, that's out of the question.

Let's try the seed pods again, on a light background...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Another shot: stem with pods, one pod cut in half; seeds from one pod.

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

The shrub (in the dark)

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Another, very weird, shot!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

No, the pods are NOT red. Have no idea what that was all about. I will try to get a better shot in the am before I return the camera!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Still trying...

This is the actual shrub. Does that help at all?

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

A close-up of the pods...

Thumbnail by Sequee
(Zone 7a)

They look like Rose of Sharon Pods..but I can't see the seeds.. Do they have seeds inside?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, they are shaped like a fat comma, and the have little fur coats!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Did you find out what they are?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Nothing definitive, but based on the pods, the furry seed and reports from the 2 neighbors across from that side of my yard, it's a Pink Rose of Sharon. They say it's really quite pretty when it's in bloom - lol! (Can you tell that's NOT the street PekeBoo and the kitties and I take our walks on??? That will change next year, though!) Want some seeds???

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

They are easy to start from seed. I had a whole bunch volunteer in my bed this year. I potted them and gave them away at work. I don't know how long it takes them to bloom from seed.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Do these look like the ones you had?

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

These look a lot like mine, but that is the best I can do for you without seeing the leaves. Sorry. I would guess they are rose of sharon, but it would be a guess. Maybe start one under lights so we can compare leaf shape? That might be fun.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm going to visit JRush on Thursday and she has a bunch of pods from hers. I'm going to bring mine so we can comare! Is that cheating, or what???

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Cheating? No, that's a great idea!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/58122/

Rose of Sharon....there are some good shots in the database link that show your seeds and pods really well.

Flat, fuzzy commas are and exellent description of the seeds by the way.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

yep, those are Rose of Sharon

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Definately Rose of Sharson...I have gathered the seeds to use in pressed flowers projects. They seedlings are so prolific in some gardens (species), they acutually kill out the underplantings. We lost a whole bed of beautiful bed of Phlox and Jacob's Ladder due to the seedlings and the work required to remove them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.