Mystery Tree

Pleasant Hill, CA

This tree grows in Zone 9b. Any I.D.as?

Thumbnail by ko6xp
Pleasant Hill, CA

Closeup of foliage:

Thumbnail by ko6xp
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

First thing that came to mind is one of the fancy Japanese Cryptomeria hybrids. But then I decided it may be a Chamaecyparis hybrid instead. This is Chamaecyparis obtusa ''CONFUSCIOUS'.....it's difficult to see tho....

http://www.coenosium.com/photoshare/cocunfuscious.jpg

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

When you get the positive ID.....make sure you check the Plants Database to see if they need the pic....you have an absolutely gorgeous specimen of whatever it is!

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Looks very similar to chamaecyparis obtusa 'nana' or 'gracilis' grown in PA. Here is a photo of a PA specimen. So many cultivars in the trade it's difficult to know what you really have.

Thumbnail by designart
Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Opps...on closer inspection of your close up photo, it doesn't look anything like the Dwarf Hinoki Cypress.

Sorry.

Redlands, CA(Zone 10a)

If you can get a picture of an individual scale, I will most likely be able to identify it for you. Cryptomeria is an excellent guess( huzzah Kachinagirl!!) and there is a variety called "Suki" that I've seen growing in a similar fashion. Chamaecyparis obtusa is a distinct possibility as well. Being a botanist I have access to some exceptional resources. The picture looks like the top row is flattened and the side pairs keeled with scale-like, pointed conifer leaves. Possibly Chamaecyparis pisifera var.Retinospora (a young one, anyway) Cheers-Bagpypr

This message was edited Nov 30, 2004 8:02 AM

This message was edited Nov 30, 2004 8:05 AM

Beaverton, OR

I have two that look just like it. Mine get a bit of broze two ways - sometimes a tad bit of sunburn, or, the cones. This year it's the cones.

Anyway, it's a golden hinoki false cypress. Nice trees.

I designed 3 into a yard for someone near here about 12 years ago and they look gorgeous. About 17' tall now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.