Pink Lapageria Rosea

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

My little Lapageria rosea is blooming again. I got it as a rooted cutting in a 4-inch pot this Spring. This is the second time it has bloomed. It bloomed in late summer with a slightly lighter color. I posted that image in the PDB. It's put on considerable new growth also. The bloom will last this way in this condition for about two more weeks.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Very pretty,are you growing this in a container,or is it hardy there?
Does it prefer full sun or shade?
Did you purchase at a nursery,or online?
Looking for a vine that the flowers last for a while.
Thanks
Don

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Don,

This plant comes from Southern Chile. I presently have it in a large pot, but it should do fine here in the ground in San Diego. I don't think it could survive outdoors in Kansas. It is recommened that the roots and base of the plant is situated in shade. Apparently it doesn't like extreme heat either, but we had a hot summer here in San Diego and my plants did fine (I have three of them). One of my other plants has bloomed also and it too is pink but the blooms on it are slightly smaller. The blooms on this one are at least four inches. This particular plant I got at the Huntington gardens summer sale. The other two plants I got online at Hortus Botanicus. I repotted all three in very large pots in a shady part of the yard. All three have put on substantial growth. They do like considerable water however. Some of the other colors available are red, white, and bicolors. Once the vines get larger they should start flowering in profusion. In their native environment they can get to around 40 feet.

-Ron-

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

How pretty!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ron,
I'll give them some thought,summers here get extremely hot,even in the shade.
Wintering over would not be a problem,in my greenhouse.
Thanks again
Don

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

May I add that this is our National Flower? We call them 'Copihue'. It is currently a protected species.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Very pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.