Rooting help

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Anybody know how to root snail vine and blue sky vine?
The snail vine i have is the real deal, not the purple one. I have to really long runners, some green tips, but mostly amost a hard wood. I'm in the process of moving everything in to the greenhouse and have no idea how to start cuttings.
Thanks
Jen

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What do you mean by the real deal? Do you mean it's corkscrew vine?

I think they should work best by pulling a runner over a pot of dirt and weighing it down with something. Don't forget to scratch where the roots should come out and some rooting hormone would help too.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Sorry, yes, its corkscrew vine, i coundn't pull that out of my head.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2004 6:53 AM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I tried to root cuttings in water like Dave had said worked for him. Wouldn't work. So, in the winter, I did just what Capt.M suggested and it works, but leave them a long time. It takes quite a while to get them rooted. I used a hair pin to anchor them into the pot. Don't forget to dig the root of your corkscrew vine and hold it over like you would dahlia rhizomes. The Blue Sky Vine doesn't work up here since it blooms when it is time to bring things inside.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I potted it in a pot when i first got it. Yest i untwined it from the trellis and moved pot and all into the greenhouse.
Should i cut it back? Pull out the tuber? I have to LOL about the dahlia tubers, i dont dig anything out. ....surivival of the fittest i say. Just kidding, but iris, dahlias, glads, and all stay in the ground year round.
Im thing about putting the post in a corner and running it up the side and over the top of the g'house. Maybe use saran wrap and potting soil at the nodes?
Jen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

If you have it in a pot, you are okay. I'd love to live in your zone so I could play with some of these plants and just see how far I could push them for staying outside and living. Finding room for everything can be a big problem. Guess I would just tack some new shoots down and see if you could get them to root. I actually had seed pods on mine this year, but the weather didn't co-operate and they didn't mature. My vine is now in Des Moines. I'm not into digging either.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Whats it doing in Des Moines? Took a trip, eh, lol

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I had a lot of things that took a trip to DM and will be used in the planters around the city next year. I don't think that was the intent for the Corkscrew vine though. LOL!

Mc Call Creek, MS

Ms Jen, I read this somewhere on how to root thunbergias (blue sky vine is grandifolia or laurifolia). It seems to work. Using something very sharp like a razor blade, make slices up a half inch or so into the stem from the bottom of the stem. Make them like you are slicing a pie. Put in water in a clear container in the shade. Cut off all leaves an flowers except for the last leaf. In a few weeks you will see the little roots growing.

Good luck!

Kay

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kay, I will try that. I've got some in dirt, some in water, and now i'll try that method.
I sure wish all my vines grew like this one did.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I LOVE when it flowers inside! I wish I didn't have it in such an ugly nursery container and tomatoe trellis so I could have put it on display on a table or something.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.