This is for you, Hugo

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

This is how the seeds of Aristolochia pearci I sent you will look like when you grow them. Don't blame me if they do not smell like roses LOL

Ursula

Thumbnail by Ursula
Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

I want to add that the copyright belongs to my friend Ricardo Martini, the geologist that 'scans' the Atacama Desert.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow...new shape and new look. beautiful flowers.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

How very interesting! Thank you for posting the picture Ursula. I envy Hugo!

Erick

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Ursula,
How are you? Thanks for the picture of this awesome aristolochia. I can't say that I've ever seen it anywhere so it will be a neat addition to my collection. I love it. I look forward to getting it. Thanks a million. Thank your friend too for the picture.

BTW; I'm sure they WON'T smell like roses. lol

Hugo

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Kaleem, want some seeds? This plant could be used as groundcover. However, I must warn you that the seeds did not smell like jasmin when I took them out of the pod (not extremely bad either and only when I manipulated the pod) LOL. I have small trades of 10 seeds each.

Erick, no need to be envious - you too can have some seeds if you think they will grow for you. Their natural habitat is in northern Chile (at the seaside), in a very dry desert. I cannot tell you for sure, but I think it is an annual.

Hugo, your seeds should be with you any day. Will you try to hybridize them? Ricardo did not only shoot the picture, but also collected the seeds!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Yes Yes why not......I would love to grow these beautiful vines.

Hybridize? Not me. I'll just try and give them the dry that they like by planting them in a container and placing them under some sort of cover that will allow light to get to them. I'll keep an eye out for the seeds Ursula and let you know when they get here.

Thanks again.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

that is realy an unusual plant, I like it

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello Ursula.

How very kind of you to offer me some seeds. I would be delighted to receive some from you. I've just started growing Aristolochias and the pearci would be a fun addition to my collection. I'll try several different approaches to getting them to germinate and grow.

Thank you again. Your kindness is sincerely appreciated.

Erick

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

My pleasure, Erick. Just e-mail me your snail address.

Ursula

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ursula - Truly beautiful! Thanks for sharing your photo!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow!!! now thats one i would like to have. i have one dutchmans pipe i got here but its only flowered this year. now i want more. today i saw a pic for the gigantica. that was cool too. how many types are there??

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

kareoke, this one is unusual for me as well. I have never had the chance to see them myself.

Thanks, Sequee. The picture was shot by a friend that is supplying me with lots of great pictures that are being posted in the PDB.

Hi Marie! Is there any plant you do not want? LOL. Unfortunately, I'm not able to answer to your question - maybe BugFreak can tell you how many Aristolochia species exist.

I've read that there are something like 770 different species. Here is a link that does a great job listing the different species and tries to provide photos of them as well. Many don't have any photos but the list gives you an idea of the diversity in this group of plants. Here's the link;

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/botany/gen/a/Aristolochia.htm

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Amazing, Hugo. I have bookmarked this page that has so many interesting things.

Thanks for the link!

Ursula

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i am trying to fill up two acres my own and then my mom s half acre and now my hubby s boss wants me to do his lanscape at the new shop so i am seed and plant crazy. just got done with neighbors house. might go into buisness for this. i enjoy it and have wonderful friends at a local nursery to help me.

i want it all but i know i cant have it all. can wish though. LOl

770 wow !!!!!! am a vine and plant crazy but not 770 vines worth. shoot my morning glory vine collection is enough . wow agian.

saw on here someone did want to get as many of this as they can. thats alot of vines.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hugo, when you get this one growing, I would love a piece of it. That is pretty neat.

She sent me seeds so I'll have to put my germinating skills to the test. I'll certainly keep you in mind.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.