Getting rid of moss on the sidewalk

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This just appeared in Victor Yool's gardening column in the SF Chronicle today. Amazingly simple solution for slippery moss from a reader:

"Last year my in-laws were visiting us in Petaluma over the holidays and during a break in the rain, my father-in-law and I set out for a walk into town. A neighbor had a brick patio full of moss and was looking at it glumly when my father-in-law said, "Do you have any baking soda in the house?" Of course the reply was yes. He instructed my neighbor to simply pour the baking soda on the moss. In a day or so it will turn the moss brown and dissolve it.

A few days later I walked by the same house and voila! No more moss. It really is that simple.
-from a reader

Dr. Yool says: With the advent of slime season, those so afflicted should take careful note of those kind words of wisdom. Particularly note that application was made during a break in the rain -- the baking soda needs to be in undiluted contact with the moss for at least a day for this to work. "

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!