Onc sphacelatum- Leaf probs

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, so my Onc sphacelatum has put on new growth and it looks really healthy but some of the older larger leaves are splitting down the middle in the creases. Not big splits but still I can't imagine that this can be any kind of good.

Can anyone help me out?

P.S. I think I know the answer to this one but sphacelatum should be potted in large peices of bark, right? A guide I read said medium to large, large being for the mule ears, but I don't think Onc sphacelatum is a mule ear. The roots aren't really thick but the bulbs are pretty well sized so I just want to know which size I should be using.

Edited to say it looks like most of the posts on the orchid forum are from me! Sorry about hogging all the space

This message was edited Nov 17, 2004 12:37 AM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have two Onc. sphacelatum hybrids...sometimes the weight of the leaves causes then to split but it does not seem to do any harm. I'd be more concerned if yu has brown spots or streaks...the cursed virus. I've lost several orchids to that in the past. As it stands now, I don't think you have a serious problem.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

That's a relief! Thanks

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

CaptMicha, sorry don't think I can be of any help. Hope you don't lose your onc. Here is a photo I took today of my onc. 'Sharry Baby', for the past two years had two bloom scapes but this year only one. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Then here is a picture of an orchid I've had for a couple of years, I got it at a nursery and now can't remember if it had a label or that i just liked it. I don't usually buy something that isn't labeled. i have no idea of what orchid it is. If anyone knows let me know. Thanks, Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I hope I can look forward to blooms something like your's Donna. Mine most likely isn't named but a plain old species. I'm Okay with that though as long as they're alive!

Your second orchid looks like a den. but there's so many named ones out there it'd be really hard to name it. It's a beauty!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The dendrobium is some hybrid derived from Dendrobium phalaenopsis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.