Deer-resistant daylilies?

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 6b)

has anyone found any daylilies that are deer resistant

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Not in PA...at least not me. They usually leave the foliage alone, but eat the flowers after they start to bloom. With re-bloomers sometimes they don't bother. I guess by that time they have better food available.

No

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi Goldieloks,

First, welcome to Dave's. Glad to see you here.

I am a bit curious, since I live not too far from you. I didn't think there were any deer left "at large" in South Florida. I sure haven't seen any. Not even any of the infamous "Keys Deer" when I've been down there.

Unfortunately I have no advice to offer other than a fence.

Again, Welcome to Dave's.

Molly
:^)))

San Augustine, TX(Zone 8b)

Plant them very close to the house? LOL, that's about the only place my deer don't eat! My beautiful "fence" around baby trees...

Thumbnail by mydaisy
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The dear deer in my area think all parts of the daylily are candy. When the leaves get 3 or 4inches tall if I miss spraying them with the liquid fence right away they are gone the next day. They also are eating all of the hollyhock leaves as they come up. Had a buck by my back door the other evening and I could have counted his eyelashes!! They are fearless and always hungry. Salvias, lantanas, sage and rosemary, daffodils, are all pretty safe, but they even chewed up my evergreen sumac!! The Queens Dirtland is under attack! Margie

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to say this .... but have you tried the 12 guage method of deer deterrent?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

That is a great idea, but I am in city limits, and neighbors love the critters. Of Course, they don't garden the way I do. Mine is the nicest buffet in the area! A bow hunter might be able to get away with a little selective deterrant. Any volunteers?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a friend who is an avid bow hunter - but he has lots of local targets & a sister who is good w/rifle but she is in alaska, maybe you can check w/ the local hunting club?

loudigger, too bad deer season ended in January! Myself, my husband, and my son hunt, but the tag limits in our area are not very generous (one buck, 2 does-limited to the Thanksgiving weekend!) And we have way too many deer around us...We are blessed with having 52 acres here at our house. There are 4 "deer" food plots at different areas on the property. We plant oats, clover, rape, kale, peas, etc. It seems to keep them out of the yard pretty well.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Where is ST. Agustine? 8b, must be not far from here. Are you going to come to the Cent Tx. Roundup? I am making cuttings and starting seeds to have a nice variety to trade. From what so many say, the deer are going to take over this country. This is a residential neighborhood, but most homes are on 1 to 5 acres with lots of brush. I am getting desparate. It seems all I garden for is to give them a very nice buffet!! Oh well, I will keep trying..( OH WELL is my life motto :) Margie

San Augustine is in DEEP East Texas. About 30 miles from Nacogdoches. I'm trying to get things going for the roundup, although I don't know if I'll be able to make it. My grandmother recently had a second knee replacement surgery & it's up to us to take care of her...shopping, driving, etc. We had to postpone our Vegas trip (was planned for March). I'm still pouting about that! LOL!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Goldielokes...........Your best bet if you think the deer are gonna eat your Daylillies is to spray them with a product called LIQUID FENCE. Works wonderful....I live on 200 acres...surounded by other farms, and we have lots of deer here. I live in zone 5a, Northern Michigan, and when spring comes and my plants are peeking up through the ground I spray Liquid Fence on them. I usually put about 3 applications on in a growing season. Rain does not wash it away. The stuff is amazing. You can purchase it at your local feed stores, or nursery or you can purchase it online.

www.liquidfence.com

Deann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.