Frost bitten hibiscus

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I thought they would be safe in the unheated greenhouse these past nights of upper 20 degree temps. Wrong! The leaves are all hanging down, I've brought them into the house and gave them a diluted drink of Miracle Grow. Even my braided hibiscus! Is there any first aid I ca n give them? Will they be able to pull out of this? I am sure we will lose the leaves, but I don't know what else I can do. Any ideas? doris

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

They will probably come out of it if you can keep them nice and warm and give them some sun. I had one that I left outside too long and it lost ALL of its leaves, but is getting new tiny ones now. It took about three weeks before it started getting the new leaves. Good luck. It makes me sick when I lose a hibiscus.

My daughter had brought over her special ones too! I can put them down in the basement on a table in front of the south exposed windows. I am so glad they may be able to pull out of this. Thanks so much for the info. Doris

Corte Madera, CA

hello. just wondering how your hibiscus are doing now? it's been almost a month since they were frost-bitten....

i'm cheering them on.

=)

Just the other day I noticed that there were little green shoots on the stems of some of the hibiscus. Others, nothing yet, but the stems are still green when I scritch my fingernail on them. The brugs are sending out new growth. The shrimp plant doesn't show any life yet. My hibiscus with the braided stem doesn't show any signs yet either. Some of the vines do not look happy, especially the varigated bower vines. I don't know if I should keep feeding them lightly or just let them do their own thing as I don't want to force them into growth that wouldn't be natural in case they would prefer going dormant. (If they do that kind of thing). Both the tree hibiscus are doing nothing. Would maybe some pruning help them decide which way they are going?

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

My hibiscus will be celebrating the holidays through spring! I have clear christmas lights strung on them, and the come on at dusk & off at dawn. That little bit of warmth should keep them happy.

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

PotEmUp in Fremont, CA

What a novelty idea! Dual-purpose lighting! lol

Keep rolling those great suggestions out towards Southeast, TX

CHEERS

Hey, I like that idea. I just noticed it now, but I have unused strings of white lights that I can put on the plants. they are in the family room and face north. No one can see them unless they come in yard!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

djm, how are your Hibiscis doing now?
Let us know if they are recuperating and have put on new leaves or what?

Dee

Four of them are getting new leaves, but several neat ones didn't make it including the one with the braided stem! The 2 tree hibiscus were quite dead on the top18 inches, but below that there are new leaves pushing out from the main stem. I don't know if it will maintain its original tree look, but as long as it grows, can't complain. I will have to experiment as to when they can can go out in the greenhouse, maybe day temps of 50?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't give up on the ones you think have died. They may put out new growth from the roots.

I will keep on watering enough to keep the soil from drying out.. I hate to lose some of these so I will keep watching closely til spring to make sure they won't come back! Thanks for telling me as I was getting ready to pitch them!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

One time I thought mine were dead after a hard freeze. In the spring, I moved the containers and was going to plant something else in them when I discovered that the hibiscus was shooting back up from the roots. I wish you good luck with yours.

Oh wow! I will be watching closely to see if I have such luck. They are in the basement, maybe I should bring them upstairs now.

I brought them up and it looks like the 2 that are grafted, Christmas Frost and
Crimson Ray may still have some life in the roots, but this is below the graft , The 2 tree hibiscus are getting quite a few leaves but I had to cut 2' from the top on both. Two others are definately good, growing well. My braided stem one doesn't look like there is any life, but lower down near the soil, its not compleley deadish. I'll keep watering it just in case a miracle!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your hibiscus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.