Some Blooms

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

My hibiscus did not bloom too well this year but these are some that did OK.

Amazon Queen

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Unknown Red

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Satin Pillow

This message was edited Nov 16, 2004 9:22 AM

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Joanne

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Snowfire

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

This is a hardy hibiscus
"Plum Crazy"

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Plum Crazy

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Wow, I love that Amazon Queen. Snowfire would be my next favorite. Great pictures Loretta. You must have a wonderful green thumb.

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't know, I really like the plum crazy.

Robin

Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

Joanne is just beautiful, but my favorite colour is yellow ....They are all beautiful.

Anna

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Loretta,
They are all beautiful - - but I love your Amazon Queen.

Is that a variegated Ginger I see in the background of Snowfire? If so, is it hardy in your zone or do you have to take it up? Nat

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone, you are all too kind. I love the Plum Crazy & the Amazon Queen, too.. Heck I love them all..lol Last year I cut them back too far and it took all summer for the tropicals to bloom. But the blooms last longer with cool nights.
Nat, it's variegated ginger. I dig it up for the winter. When I kept it in a pot it was OK but plant it in the ground and it doubles in size every year. Someone told me it can't go dormant like hedychium or kaempheria. I've never seen it bloom thoiugh.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Violabird and I saw lots of variegated ginger when we were Orlando a month ago. Apparently, both versions of this ginger (there is a dwarf version also) only bloom on old stock, and blooms are rare.

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/55244/index.html
and
http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/alpi_zer_var.cfm

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Hmmm, so maybe someday I will have blooms. I have never let this ginger go dormant or die back. The plant is about 3 years old. The foliage is nice so I guess that's why most grow it. Thanks for the links.

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

Shadowgirl where did you get amazon queen from?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

There is NO picture of Amazon Queen in the PDB yet. Yours would sure be a good one.

I did some online searching using the name hibiscus amazon queen and this is what I found. http://www.rozpat.net/lonestar2003show.htm

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Loretta's is much prettier than the one shown in that link.

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL What happened to their pictures? T
CM-I got the AQ, the Snowfire, Satin Pillow and Hawaiian Sunset at local nursery a few years back. That had them on clearance for 5.00 in 3 gallon pots.It was just a lucky break of being at the right place at the right time.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Dragon's Breath is one that I've wanted for a long time. Loretta's is much prettier than the Amazon Queen on that site.

I agree Shirley hers is much prettier than the one on that site. Shadowgirl tell that nursery they need to get some more of those on clearance!!!!

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Ya'll are so kind! (((big grin))) I was hoping this fall they would have some good bargains. I have never had good luck rooting hibiscus. Anybody know the secret? I would like to root some cuttings of all my Hibiscus so I could share. It's really no fun having a great plant unless you can pass it along. Maybe I should ask Gloria (hibiscus), surely with that alias she must have some secrets.
BTW I added the picture to the PDB.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Loretta, Some root much easier than others. I put cuttings (they are supposed to root better if there are multiple cuttings) in damp vermiculite (I do use a rooting compound), cover with a plastic bag and set them on a heat mat. I open the bag about once a week to remove any buds and dead leaves, and only water as needed to keep the vermiculite damp. Some like El Capitolio and SnowQueen will root within a month - - others take 2-3 months.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.