Butterfly?

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Several weeks ago, I admired a photo of a delicate looking pastel colored "Butterfly" looking flower on a shrub or plant; I can't remember now which. I do remember that it was in a hardy to 9 or a 10 zone, so realized I could never grow one where I live. I was telling someone about how gorgeous this flower was, but now I can't find it in any photos, nor the plant forum. Can anyone identify this one for me? Sigh, I think I have "Oldtimers" disease; can't remember a thing! Thanks. :)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Is this it? I was totally awestruck by this flower! Karen

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/59868/

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

No, but it is a beautiful bloom, isn't it? The one I saw made mention of it's resemblance to a butterfly.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Go to the Plant Daterbase and type in Butterfly Vine

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Thanks anyway, kareoke, but still no luck. Again, though, what a gorgeous plant!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

The FLOWER looked like a butterfly! Wow, I will keep checking in...someone will come up with it for you!

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I found a plant that looks similar I think

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

But this one is an annual, and am almost positive the caption mentioned a hardiness zone. SCHIZANTHUS. Oh well, I think I'm gonna give up on this one.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Maybe Clerodendrum Ugandense. Not sure it is spelled right. Here are some Google images.
http://images.google.com/images?q=Clerodendrum%20Ugandense&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&sa=N&tab=wi I believe some people call it the Butterfly Plant.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

WOW Brugie all of those resemble a butterfly

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

That's it!! Thank you, thank you, thank you Brugie! Whew. Finally! Clerodendrum Ugandense, isn't it gorgeous. I would love to grow this plant. Got to find out were I can get some seeds. You are a sweetheart, Brugie! Thank you.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

A friend sent me some seed, so I let my plant die this year. Started the seeds and two of them have germinated. I've heard that they will bloom the first year from seed. I sure hope so. I did keep a couple of cuttings just in case. I like this plant a lot. It loves the sun and just won't stop blooming. Now, I need to find a way to make it set seed so I can be assured of having this one from seed each year and not have to hold over the plant/cuttings.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

OFG I think I have some cuttings rooting. I'll check the gh and email you. Are you going to Victoria in April?

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Brugie, I was able to track down a supplier for Clerodendrum Ugandense, right here in my home province of BC. Plants of Perfection. Cristina has a wonderful reputation here as having fabulous plants as well as being a really nice person. I have e-mailed her with my request and will wait for her reply. Don't know whether she has seeds or just plants. If they are plants, I could always pick one up in the spring as our Canadian Trading Round-up is close by on Vancouver Island. Either way, I am optomistic I will have my "Hot Little Hands" on one or the other in the near future. Thanks again, Brugie.

Thanks also to Kareoke and Kachinagirl for being kind enough to help me look. :)

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

OMG, Liz, yes, I am going to Victoria. I will wait anxiously until I get your e-mail.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Whoo Hoo!! Liz has one for me!!! God is Sooo Good!

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20529&item=4337200738&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If anyone is interested I found 3 listed on EBay.

Edit to put up a new address to ebay. Check it out

This message was edited Nov 16, 2004 4:51 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Congrats OFG. You are going to love this plant.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Isn't this the BEST place?????? So much fun! :~D

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

It is! Great to have such great friends that help in a time of need. You guys are the best!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.