Any idea what this is???

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Any idea what this purple flowering vine is? It was sold as an annual here in zone 8b....but I immediately misplaced the pot tag, so have no idea of its name.

RikerBear
Marc

P.S. I have also posted in the ID forum

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Yes, I recognize it, but the name escapes me right now. I'll check something and get back to you.

Found it! Asarina erubescens, Creeping Gloxinea; Climbing Snapdragon.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Clare....I'm thinking Nile something, but I may be remembering wrong.

Okay, I jumped too quickly. I think it is actually Asarina scandens: http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/a/asarina_scandens_JL.htm

Mark, sorry, I'm talking to you on your two threads. It is Asarina scandens. Here is the correct plants database link: http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/1939/index.html Check out the pictures and see if it looks like your vine.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

That's it! Thank you so very much Clare!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice looking vine, Marc. I was thinking it was a type of trumpet vine, but the leaves are different. Now that I see what it is, I think the flowers look a lot like the Gloxinia houseplant. Good job, Clare!

Sure, my pleasure. I knew it looked familiar because I tried to germinate seeds of it once. They came up, but they didn't survive for some reason. I think I was trying to sow them at the wrong time of the year. It is very pretty.

Center, TX(Zone 8b)

DG is the coolest web site! Someone gave me this plant because it was just about dead and sent it home with me for "intensive care". It bloomed last week and is beautiful but I didn't know the name. Thanks to you now I know. You'll are the greatest.

Glad we could help, Brenda! I agree that Dave's members are the coolest:-) This vine is indeed beautiful.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have collected a bunch of seed, so if it doesn't over winter for me hopefully I will get some to germinate.
Thanks again Clare. :-)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Marc,
if you have it in a sheltered spot it may overwinter for you. I am in zone 9 and it has not been a problem. I have 3 colors, dark purple, light purple & pink. Mine grow up the base of my trees and are 2 years old. I had always thought they were annuals too, so imagine my surprise. :~)
Donna

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh cool Donna! Mine is growing up an arbor and the roots should be fairly sheltered by some dwarf conifers.....I'll keep my fingers crossed. :-)

Marc

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

well whatever it is I want one :) that is real pretty

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

This is it........

http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/a/asarina_scandens_JL.htm

I sure hope mine comes back next Spring and or I am able to get some seeds to grow. :-)

Hawesville, KY(Zone 6a)

Started mine from seed two yrs. ago maybe three.
Came back both times each yr.it spreads more very cute.
You should not have any trouble since I'm a lot colder than you.I keep my beds mulched pretty heavy.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I grew some in hanging baskets 2 years ago,brought them in the GH for the winter and they did great...
too great
it reseeded all over the GH and in every plant I had.....
Good thing its pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.