eucalyptus tree

Eagle, ID(Zone 6b)

I bought a couple of small eucalyptus trees from the local nursery and they had grown some over the summer but they seemed very leggy. I cut them back a few inches but they didn't have alot of leaves on them at the time and I didn't want to get to drastic. I have brought them inside and they are under lights. How can I get them to branch out more? Should I cut them back again?? Help!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I wouldn't cut them back.....just give them lots of light (sun when they're outside). Normally Eucalyptus grow fairly quickly....what kind do you have?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I grew Eucalyptus gunnii from seed this year. They are only about 3 feet tall, and are very upright in growth. They like full sun, so I am not certain how they will fare this Winter indoors. I have not tried to prune them at all... They are said to be quite prolific in some areas of the country. They grow in large groups, so it may be their habit to grow tall with few outbranches.... perhaps?
Time will tell!
Julie

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hmmmm....I'm thinking you're right Julie. Here in the west they can be seen as 'weeds'. Where I live they're used a windbreaks because they grow so fast. One thing Eucalyptus are notorious for is weak roots. They are a HUGE tree (and a very dense hardwood) and when they topple, they take out everything in the way! The Western Garden Book shows Eucalyptus to be ok for zones 5, 6, 8-24; H1, H2. Probably by the end of next year your trees will be too big to grow inside! They are probably growing like most tall trees, 1 long shoot called a 'whip' which will become the trunk. Whips begin to branch at different heights depending (of course) on what tree they are. I wouldn't worry about a young tree not having many (or any) side branches, if left alone they will develope naturally. E. gunnii is supposed to be good to 5 or 10 degrees F and is one of the fastest growth-wise. What Eucalyptus do you have Sunnyskies?
Karen

Eagle, ID(Zone 6b)

Hi! I really don't know what type of eucalyptus tree it is. They only had a couple left and they had no ID tags. And thanks for the tip not to cut it back.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Karen - You are a wealth of knowledge - Thank you! You have provided far more info than I had expected. I like the silvery color they added to my garden this past year. I have enjoyed them!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I certainly have no wealth of knowledge....but thanks for the compliment! I just have an interest in plants used in landscaping.... (and a handy Western Garden Book!) :~D

Note - not all eucalypts are created the same!

I am reading a novel right now called Eucalyptus, and there's a wealth of knowledge about eucalypts in it - like there's more than 200 varieties, from a small shrub to the largest tree in the world. Some need sandy earth, others need just a crack in a rock to grow. Some need cold winters, others can't tolerate cold winters and will die. Elevation can even be a factor in some varieties. Unfortunately, there are no pictures in the book. But I thought I'd share what I've learned with you in case it might help.

I think it makes sense to try and ID your eucalyptus and find out what the proper care should be.

Christine.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Ditto Ceedub, that's why I asked which ones they had. It does make a huge difference! One other thing...just to be annoying....the juvenile leaves on Eucalyptus don't always represent the adult form so ID may be difficult when the tree is young unless you find an expert.

Yes, they are a difficult species to nail down .... I've only tried once, with one of those that smell nice (duh, they have a name??), but it died on me. I'm going to have to learn more before I try again.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Another thing....that nice smell is not so nice to fleas. The nuts/pod and leaf debris (and they do drop a lot) help repel fleas so DH occasionally brings some home to scatter in the 'dog yard'. I've heard that you can place the little nut/pods under the cushion of your dog's bed and that is helpful not only for the fleas but for that 'doggy' smell as well! Bonus!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

gunnii LOOKS like the kind that smells nice, but so far there is no aroma to the leaves at all. I am not certain if this is the correct variety or not... the leaves are a silvery color, instead of the blue.

JRush, here's a link to eucalyptus on thet PDB - http://davesgarden.com/pdb/search.php?search_text=eucalyptus&offset=0

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Oh my - there are so many varieties! If I did not have the seed packet I would have NEVER been able to discern what variety it was...
It is hard to imagine these 2 skinny plants as huge trees... but I see they are there!

K'girl, thanks for the info on eucalyptus and fleas, that's really really good to know.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Yup, for people with indoor-outdoor pets it's a given that fleas are commin' in! I have a friend who throws the nuts under her dressers....who knows, maybe it helps!

Greenville, NC

I am so new at gardening, but I love it. I need help with my eucalyptus.

I bought it at the end of summer last year. It had no tag so I have no idea the type.

I have looked at it alot over the last few days. Some of the leaves are green and lookperfect. Some are grey and crumble on touch. Is it dying? Can I save it? I have not fertilized. I have left it alone to grow. It was so pretty and really still is. But I think it is dying.

Help, please!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post a picture? It's really hard to diagnose problems from a description, pictures are very helpful. You might also try posting your question in a new thread and put it in the trees & shrubs forum instead of here. This thread is almost 4 yrs old so a lot of people may not be watching it anymore, and eucalyptus are trees not perennials so you'll probably find more people who can help you in trees & shrubs.

Reidsville, NC

I just give mine lots of water to get it started. I have made a mistake withone and pruned it too much and it died. this one I have just left alone. It grew this much since last summer. I don't know its name.

Thumbnail by lblackwell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.