Grape Jelly for Orioles?!?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have success with putting out Grape Jelly in winter to attract and feed Orioles? -----Especially in the Midwest (Ohio)? I read in a couple places the Orioles like the grape jelly especially in winter when other food is scarce? Apparently it doesn't freeze....

Any pics of orioles at your feeders, by the way?!

We have seen some in summer around our yard, but we would love to get some orioles to our feeders this winter. Thanks. t.

p.s. This link has a good pic and material on the various Oriole species and range maps. BTW. http://www.percevia.com/explorer/db/birds_of_north_america_western/obj/567/target.aspx

This message was edited Jan 26, 2005 3:39 PM

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I wish Orioles stayed here year round but they leave in late fall. I put grape jelly ( why do they prefer grape?) out for them in summer time. They are such a beautiful bird. Now that the leaves are mostly off the trees i see where they built their hanging nest this year. it is in my White Birch tree clump. Never built in those trees before. Donna

Well, I don't know, maybe the oriole migrates South and leaves our area, too...I'll have to check on that...

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

tabasco.......was reading your forum about the Oriole.....and ran across some good information if your interested.....They do winter in Florida and the warmer climates....check out the site....We get them here in northern Michigan in May, and they stay for about 6 weeks, and head for the deep woods....have tried keeping them here by placing fresh oranges out for them which they do enjoy for about 6 weeks and leave......I have some pictures of them, which I will send as soon as I can find them.....

http://birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Baltimore_Oriole_dtl.html

The oriole, which is a part of the blackbird family, is a welcome visitor in spring. The signature of the oriole is its vibrant orange and black coloring and its beautifully woven hanging nest, suspended pouch like from the very tips of tree branches.

Range and Habitat
Orioles prefer open woodlands, river groves and tall shade trees with shrubby undergrowth. They have adapted well to yards, parks and avenues of trees along streets. They like to nest in tall poplars, willows and cottonwoods.

Feeding Preferences
Oriole's eat primarily insects, but in summer and fall eat fleshy fruits and berries. Mulberries, serviceberries, brambles, cherries, mountain ash, nuts and figs are among their favorite plant foods.

Attracting Orioles to your backyard:

Orioles will visit nectar feeders. They will enjoy your hummingbird feeders or a specially designed oriole feeder filled with nectar.
Offer orange halves firmly placed on tree branches, in a special oriole feeder or fruit holder.
Orioles enjoy grape and apple jelly or orange marmalade.
Offer chopped pears, apples and orange halves in a platform feeder or fruit feeder.
They may come to your suet feeder. Try offering orange, insect or berry flavored suet.
Plant fruit and berry producing plants such as mulberries, serviceberries, brambles, cherries or figs.
Offer a source of water for drinking and bathing.

Deann

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

T.- I have also seen their hanging baskets in the trees. I thought they all went south for the winter. I have several jars of grape jelly from about 5 years ago. Betcha I will put some out this early spring!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I only have them passing through in spring and they love to feed on my honeysuckle vines

that Cornell site was great, thanks Deann. Cornell Ornithology seems to always have the answers! But too bad the Orioles don't stay in the area very long in the summer!

So this spring I should get busy and plant some Honeysuckle vines and berries and look for jelly on sale (and marmalade for the gourmet orioles) and it looks like the orioles pretty much go way south in winter so I can forget the jelly for now!

If anyone is interested in attracting Orioles I ran across this information on the Shaw Creek Bird Supply site that gives lots of details on the kinds of food the orioles will go for---

"Attracting Orioles"

"Orioles are attracted in the summer with sugar-water nectar at oriole feeders, but they do need perches in order to use these feeders. Many other foods will also lure the oriole, such as: suet, suet mixtures, peanut butter mixtures, doughnuts, pie crust, white bread soaked in milk, halved apples and oranges, cooked raisins, grapes, pieces of banana and grape or strawberry jelly. (In fall orioles migrate to their winter habitats in the American tropics and return north again in our spring.)

Orioles will use many kinds of feeders but they like a table feeder the best because it can offer them a variety of foods at one time.

One never knows which foods will appeal to the oriole. Some orioles like one thing, some another; and they can suddenly change to a new food and reject foods that they had been coming to. Our suggestion is to keep experimenting with the different foods listed above to attract this beautiful bird. "

http://www.shawcreekbirdsupply.com/attracting_orioles.htm

It sounds like they have quite an appetite!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Tabasco - that sounds great. I will put out all the goodies I shouldn't eat for them. Both of us will benefit. = My birds are all doing great. I made another feeder like the one I made for my grandaughter and have it on a back bedroom with a red bow stuck into it. Want to see if they find it. Doubtfull unless it snows here. Love you thread

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

If you think your feeders are not being used try putting a handful of raisins in them.

Well, seeds--do you get Orioles in the winter? I read somewhere a few of them stay up north but not very often...

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't seen a one, Tabasco. Went down to the Nature Center yesterday (they have a bluebird trail) and the place was cold, wet and deserted. I know they are in there hiding but couldn't find any.

During the spring and summer the trail, which looks like an overgrown field,is full of hopping birds and twitters. (Can't wait). I'm getting cabin fever and it didn't even snow here yet, with the exception of 1" in early Dec.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

tabasco, I am surprised that Orioles would not stay and nest in your area. There usually are two pair here. i can see their nests plainly now that the leaves are gone. it is really hilarious to watch them drinking from the humminbird feeders. i do put up Oriole feeders too but they seem to prefer the hummers feeder, the same nectar is in both. Donna

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/www/critters/oriole/831649434.html

I googled "oriole and migration" and came up with this info from 'Journey North' (which has an interesting website on migrations BTW)---

ruth---we have the Baltimore (I think the name has been changed to 'Northern' just recently--doesn't sound as interesting, does it?! What will they do with the baseball team?) Oriole around Ohio, but it looks like it's here only in the warmer months. Do you have 'Baltimore' orioles in WA?

Apparently it likes shade trees and will migrate up to Ohio when the 'leaves are as big as a quarter' or about April 23 or so... imagine it's much the same for the PA area...

So, apparently we'll have to wait a while.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

An interesting and informative web site tabasco ... I'll have to take a closer look at it, a bit later ...

During this past Summer .. (and, incidentally, another first for me) .. I caught a most vague glimpse, of a newbie to the Roost in the 8 years we've been here - sitting on the alligator log feeder out in front of the house! His bright orangey attire and the then, what appeared to me to be similar to a black 'tux' - helped me identify him as an Oriole!! Figger'd he must've been a 'stray', of sorts .. heehee ..

By the time I'd managed to fetch my camera .. he'd flown up high into one of the oaks close by. Liked to have missed seeing him, if it hadn't been for a somewhat low 'murmured' song/sound he was making. I trusted my ears to tune in to his whereabouts in the leafy tall Oak ... and, did by a good blessing .. managed to get a couply shots! Spotted him once more the next day, but then no more afterwards ... Reckon he didn't find what he was lookin' for. I'll surely know what to provide next time tho' ...

He was really way UP there in this Oak ... So, here's the clearer of the two ..

- Magpye

This message was edited Jan 26, 2005 4:32 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye

Thanks for the pic Magpye--I am surprised to hear that the Oriole is somewhat rare down near your place, given the trees and country environment--but I looked on the range maps and it does appear parts of Arkansas have relatively sparse(er?) oriole populations....I wonder why...maybe the elevation in the Ozarks? (And I don't know where Deer is, either ..just guessing.) I hope your Orioles come back this spring: put out some nice English Marmalade for them and I'm sure word will get around!

BTW, we signed up to do the Cornell Ornithology's "eBird reporting" since we are watching the birds all the time, anyway...maybe at some point we will have an Oriole to report!

....Also (not oriole related, but) had two pileateds at the Suet feeders today at the same time! (Big deal for us.)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh my .. gracious YES .. that certainly IS .. a mitey BIG deal tabasco !!!!

I'm jes totally thrilled for you, about the Pilleateds visiting the suet feeders - and TWO of 'em!
Uhh huh ... Yeppers, I'd have to say .. it's a plenty 'nuff big deal to announce to everyone !!

I'd be most delightfullly proud .. to be able to peek out a window .. and see jes one at ours !!!

- Magpye

Now, Birdsters, to go back to Orioles for a moment--when looking up finches-- I came across this lady who seems to really do it up big for the Orioles...She uses Big (plastic) Sunflowers for lures--kind of gaudy but she gets results at her feeders!

Lots of pics for Oriole attraction ideas...

http://forums.about.com/ab-birding/messages/?msg=3210.1

and Page 2

http://forums.about.com/ab-birding/messages/?msg=3211.1

(Click on the attatchments to get the pictures to come up.)

I'm going to be ready come spring! t.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

t, nice photos and tips on those links. Thanks!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

IThat is such an innovative arrangement of sunflowers and feeders for the Orioles! I'll have to scratch around to find something like that to use. I know for a fact I have a bunch or two of sunflowers. Thanks tabasco, for the link.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

... a lil dignified and justified 'bump' is in order .. .. (hee) ..

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh .. I tell ya, I do like re-newing these wonderful tidbits !! ..

- Magpye

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

If an oriole nested in your tree last year and comes back, he'll always nest in a branch higher up.

I love their plaintive song. It has a sadness to it. Ours come the second week in May and I anxiously await them.

They like Standing Cypress (Ipomopsis)

I also had a pileated woodpecker. We're seeing a comeback in red headed woodpeckers too.

Funny when you realize how much you love birds when you have someone else who does too.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I couldn't agree with you more ..
((huggs))

- Magpye

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

(((hugs back))) (:>)

I'm putting out my Oriole 'bait' again this spring!

Thanks for reminding me, Mags!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

tabasco ..

While reading over the various threads about all of the birds (and with so many things sproutin' and bloomin'); it has certainly renewed my energies (& excitement!!) so much so - - that, I'd put out a couple of orange halves with a dab o'grape jelly, over in the alligator log's lower jaw .. on the 17th!!

Not seen a glimpse yet .. but, by golly: I'm ready fer 'em!! .. (hee)

- Magpye

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Magpye, have you a picture of your alligator log? It sounds so interesting.

I have put out my 'lures' but no luck yet.

I put out two orange nectar feeders near my birch trees and a another tray of grape jelly, grapes, raisins and oranges. Now I just have to wait (the hard part).

I strung some fake flowers from the Dollar Store around the feeders for extra emphasis. And shamelessly hung an orange laundry bag from the poll, just in case!

I read on the Cincinnati Birding site that the Orioles will arrive in quantity in our area this week and some have already sighted them...

Anyone have any luck yet? Please let us know when you see one!

Thumbnail by tabasco

And our tray feeder with oranges, raisins, grapes, etc., decorated with fake sunflowers a la the lady on Suite 101 's advice...

Thumbnail by tabasco
(Zone 10b)

Tabasco, I hope an oriole is lucky enough to pass by your home. All those goodies will shock any fruit loving bird.

lol at the orange laundry bag. You left no stone unturned.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2006 3:23 PM

New Carlisle, IN(Zone 5a)

We have had orioles at our feeder since Monday the 24th. Usually they arrive around the 30th, so they are a bit early this year.
Happy Birding Everyone
Sue from South Bend Indiana

Sue--so the Orioles are already up as far north as South Bend? Are you in a rural environment? Do you have plants/flowers/shrubs that appeal to Orioles?

That area is my old stomping ground, btw. I went to SMC/ND (too long ago, though!) Get back there from time to time for school related events! t.

Just had to make a note here that I got my Orioles today.

I saw three of them flying so fast not ten feet in front of me to the tree where my goodies are. (Didn't see them eating them, though!) So I promptly put out more orange-y treats--hoping they'll settle down and nest here!

Now to get a picture!

New Carlisle, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi Tabasco,
We have lots of fruit trees, and the orioles just love them. We put out oranges-lots, and just a cheap plastic orange oriole feeder. We now have indigo buntings nesting in the little wren house by the porch and will get to watch the little one take first flight again this year. The girls are nest building today.
I just love it here!
I'm glad you got your orioles-yeah.
Go Notre Dame
Take Care

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

YAY !! ~~ Tabasco ! ! !

Give 'em a lil while .. They get a wee lil less 'leary' with time.

The Orioles arrived here, about a week or so ago ...
And just as you guys said: they LUV the orange halves with grape jelly in the center. They started coming to the couple of goodies in the lower jaw of the alligator log.

IF it's possible for you: start sitting out near them (where you place the goodies) a bit, but remain relatively still. They will become a wee bit more 'comfy' with your presence .. after a few days. Enuff so, that they now come to the flat feeder to feast on the half-dozen or so orange halves w/jelly .. that are about 8 ft away from the corner of the front porch - with us sitting there!! Yep, I'm still battling the 'xictement' jitters .. in mastering the photo captures of the beauties, tho'. (LOL) Of course, the ol Coot don't help much, tellin' me to 'hurry up, you're gonna miss'em' ... (the dang'd old buzzard!) ... (heehee)

BTW .. I've been 'working' on the Cane River Plantations pics .. from Natchitoches, LA. Don't give up on me yet, T .. please.

- Magpye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.