Lasagna Layers over Grass - Results???

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The other thread by this name turned into a discussion of types grass, but I'm still interested in knowing the results obtained when this method was used over any grass, especially Bermuda.

Those of you who used/tried this method, may we have your input please.

Judy

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Judy, I'm not sure what kinds of grass I had, but some of it was "Johnson Grass", pretty noxious.
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/outreach/VMG/johngrass.html

All I can say is that 6-8 thicknesses of newspapers over it, and then a 3-4" layer of mulch produced a viable planting area (including worms) in about 4-6 months. Took longer if I didn't start until close to winter.
edited to add the hyperlink

This message was edited Nov 13, 2004 7:26 PM

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

You are right, that Johnson Grass is some nasty stuff. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking of doing a super big Lasagna. At one time I tried using a heavy layer of newspaper then 4 or so inches of rotted pine bark from a sawmill but it took years for the newspaper to decompose, therefore it wasn't a suitable bed for planting. I'm guessing the newspaper layer was too thick.

Judy

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I have done lasagna layers over grass with pretty good sucess- I think some of it was bermuda grass.
With my new beds I'm making this falll, (to eliminate more lawn and have more room for plants)
I'm letting nature do the work. when the oak leaves fall in my yard they form a dense, thick mat that I think will be just as good as newspaper for the bottom. So I just let them fall, raked out where I wanted paths and will start adding material on top.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I have used the smothering/lasagna method over Kentucky Blue grass with great results, but I hear Bermuda is some seriously tough grass so I don't know that my experience would hold true with that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.