unnecessary programs?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I work in a 1 man (boss) and 1 woman (that's me) office. The computer had been really really slow for a few days so the computer repair guy came in. He said there were too many programs. I tried to get an answer to how all those programs get on and how does a layman figure out what they are. I guess that would be giving the business $ away. So how do I check for unnecessary programs? When I scan w/McAffee will that do it?
My boss' grandchildren, teen agers, use this computer sometimes. Besides music and movies what should I ask them to avoid on this computer? Our business now receives Chemical/physical Test Reports from the mill via email and Adobe is needed. Is that causing something to be added? Does a regular news site do this? Can you "accidently" down load a program?

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!