Tucking in my fig trees I hope this works

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm going to finish filling it with straw,then put plastic around it and over the top.If I have to I can put a 100 watt light bulb inside to keep them warm this winter.I just love a good fresh fig. Jody

Thumbnail by JodyC
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

That's a lot of work but I hope it helps!

They make some kind of insulation tubes that people wrap around less hardy roses. They attract the sun light and use it to make warmth. Sorry I don't know what they're called or where I saw them.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I know what your talking about. They are black with a slit down the length of the tube what a great idea.Thanks soo much. I'll give them a try.I thought I might string christmas light around them too.LOL. HoHoHo!! Merry Christmas to my figs trees.I sure hope they make it.I still have one fig hanging on the tree it's getting a ting of red on it.I want just one fresh fig this year.LOL. Jody

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is my one lone fig.Jody

Thumbnail by JodyC
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is the inside after I took a bite.LOL.Jody

Thumbnail by JodyC
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Growing figs in zone 5 must be extremely tricky. It's even hard here in zone 7. Aren't they not supossed to produce fruit if they freeze?

That fig looks really good, I had no idea they had ones with pink flesh! What does it taste like?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

It wasn't the sweetest I've ever had.But it has been through a few light frost s, next fall I'll try the oiling. I read about it either here or G/W.I had them all inside until May,they should have been planted in the ground then.I saved one in case these don't make it.They should, If I put whole bales of straw around the fence after covering them and I can always put a 100 watt light.These were started last Jan. or Feb. When I get off these darn meds, I'll build a small Real greenhouse heated.LOL. Boy will I ever be a happy camper.Jody

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

They are now in bed asleep.Hopefully they survive the winter!!!
I'd hate to start over again.LOL.Jody

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

This might help,huh!!I should have been a blond.LOL.Jody

Thumbnail by JodyC
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It's like a cold frame, I think it should help a bunch! Good luck and I wish you lots of figs next year!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm pray'in they'll make it.Thanks,Jody

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

They made it,now I have to find the tags and see who's who.lol.Jody

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Great! I wish I had the persistance that you have, I bet I could break a lot of the no-zoners with your system.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Cap- I think a few were zone 7 and 8 figs.They are coming back from the roots,but hey they are all coming back.I'm right on the zone 5b/6a boarder.Now to get them to grow fast enough to get me some figs.lol.Jody

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

JodyC, I have one lone Brown Fig, that i have been babying for several years. It is in a large about 5 gal pot that goes inside in winter. I think i brought it outside a bit early this spring, didn't really freeze but was unhappy for awhile. It is looking pretty good now. Last year had lots of good figs, I ate everyone!!!!!

Glad yours made it through the winter. Hope you get some figs. DonnaS

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Donna,
I had hauled mine in and out the winter before last.I thought I'd see if I could over winter them.I only got one fig last year.Some one sent me chicago hardy or brown turkey,not tags so I'm not sure.They should make it through our winter and still produce figs,what doesn't produce by fall will either be traded or ebayed.lol.Jody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.