Persimmon 'Tamopan' (Diospyros kaki)

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Persimmon 'Tamopan'
Diospyros kaki

Happy me with part of our Persimmon crop, Fall 2004.

Thumbnail by frostweed
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Wow Oh Wow!
How to you eat them ,raw, cooked,?

Hello Tropicman, we eat them mainly raw, they have to be very soft in order to not have a funny taste close to the skin. But when they are just right they are extremely sweet and almost liquid. We cut the stem out carefully and eat them with a spoon. They are fine for cooking, but they lose most of the flavor, so you have to add a lot of spices if you make jam or bread with them. They can also be frozen whole, and then thawed and eaten like fresh.
I wish you lived closer, I would be glad to give you some.
Sincerely, Josephine

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

They look yummy! I've always wondered what they taste like.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info,
BTW,would you happen to have a pic of the fruit still hanging in the trees?
I can only imagine how pretty it must loook.

Hello Michelle, they taste very similar to apricot but very soft and also sweeter.
Josephine.

Hello Tropicman, I am sorry but I don't have a digital picture with the fruit on the tree. One of the reasons is because the leaves are very large and they basically cover the fruit. But I will try to take a picture when the leaves turn color and also when they fall off, then the fruit will be visible, we were not able to pick all of it because it is very high.
So look for those in about a month and i'll do my best.
Sincerely, Josephine.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OH WOW wish I were close to you :)

Hello Kareoke, thank you for your comment. This picture has gotten more clicks and comments than any of my other pictures. I guess it is an unusual sight.
I wish we were closer too.
Sincerely, Josephine Keeney

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks, so much.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

The Persimmons shown in FROSTWEED's photo are NOT "Fuyu".
The very very pronounced, indented ring all around the fruit happens to only 2 varieties of Persimmons.
One is the "Midia" (an astringent variety) and the other is "Tamopan" (a non-astringent variety).
Given the fact that they were harvested in Fall, chances are they are "Tamopan".

Hello Thumaturgist, wow this is news to me. When I bought the tree the tag said it was Fuyu, but of course the nursery could have been mistaken.
How do you know that it is the Tamopan variety? I suppose you have a book or a special link where I could read about it and verify. Once I have veryfied it I will be glad to have the moderator put the picture in the proper place.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Josephine Keeney.

Dear Thaumaturgist, Please don,t bother sending the information about persimmon Tamopan. Last night my husband and I researched it and found you are absolutely right. I surely didn't know there were so many varieties of Japanese persimmon. This has been an education and we thank you for bringing to my attention. It does not take away from how wonderful our tree is, but it definately should be called by it's proper name.
I apologize to the members and to Dave's for posting it in the wrong place.
Please look for it on Persimmon Tamopan, I have posted some information and a link to a site that will tell you everything you might want to know about persimmons. I will also be posting other pictures.
Sincerely. Josephine Keeney.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Your website is absolutely beautiful, Josephine. So peaceful; a treat for the eyes, ears and soul. :)

Dear OldFlowerGirl, I don't know what to say, other than THANK YOU!
That was so sweet of you. If you can use some seeds, please let me know.
I will be glad to send you whatever I have.
Sincerely, Josephine Keeney.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

You know I love your site frostweed. I hope you'll put info on common milkweed once it flowers in two years for you.

Some time this winter I'm going to order some other species of milkweed besides the common ones, I'll get back to you then. Save the monarchs! Lol.

Dear Michelle, I will be very happy to put the info on common milkweed on the website. We are working now on a feature that will show different pictures of each plant on the description page, some of them are already done.
We have a long way to go, we still need to do shrubs and trees.
Thank you for your interest and contributions.
Sincerely, Josephine.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2004 1:23 PM

Hello Tropicman, you wanted to see a picture of the persimmon tree with the fruit, well here it is.
Those are the persimmons we couldn't pick because they are too high. Also pictures of the fruit cut up. This has been a very interesting topic, and we have had a lot of fun with it. By the way, we discovered that if we let the fruit get to the point that is almost too soft to handle, you can then remove the stem and put them in the blender skin and all, and whip them up real good.
They make an excellent pulp that you can eat like pudding and it nis not messy at all.
You can also freeze the pulp and enjoy it later.
Thank you all for kind comments, we wish we could share with everyone.
Sincerely, Josephine.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Josephine,

Hmm,don't see pic.
Can you describe if fruit is tart or sweet,never had any before,and don't see them at the grocery store here.

The fruit is very sweet when ripe, very astringent when unripe. The ripe fruit tastes similar to apricot. Sorry, the pictures are all posted on PDB under Persimmon Tamopan.
Josephine.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmm,went there and only saw the one pic,with you and the persimmons on the table.
Sorry to be so much trouble.

I see what you mean, but the picture is also posted on todays PDB news letter, may be that will help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.