Adenium seedpod!!

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

While I was cleaning up and moving stuff onto the patio yesterday afternoon I discovered a seedpod on one of my many adeniums... I've never had one before, despite having around 15 plants for several years now. Anyone know how long they take to mature?

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I don't have a clue how long they take, but I think they will get quite a bit longer than that (don't hold me to that, though). Watch carefully - I think these kind of pop or explode when ripe to scatter the seeds. If you have any kind of fine netting or mesh (kind of like what florists use to protect the flower heads on delicate mums or gerber daisies), you ought to cover the seeds podes to gather the seeds. Be sure to use something that breathes (not a plastic baggie or anything like that).

What luck for you! I've never had a pod form, just seen pictures!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I have a seedpod forming too for the first time on my Adenium. I have no idea how long they take to mature. It looks like we will find out together!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Lucky you! Be sure and keep it warm. I had seedpods on one of mine, but let it get too cool and all the seedpods fell off! :(

Thanks, Nat. It's in my portable greenhouse.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is inside in the window.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Too cool!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

me too!!! My large Adenium obesum spent the summer outside on the deck and it is now back in the greenhouse. I noticed a few weeks a seed pod also. It takes its sweet time to mature. I have to watch your thread!
Nylon stocking might do the trick when they are getting ready to pop.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That is so cool!!! I have never seen one before.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I'm sad to report that as of yesterday afternoon, the pod fell off:-( I guess it didn't like being inside, plus it's been nothing but rain and cloudy here almost since I brought it in, so it's not getting a lot of light, which probably didn't help.

Maybe next year...

Sorry about that! Bummer! Yes, there's always next year. Seeds are pretty cheap on eBay if you are interested. Here's a link: http://stores.ebay.com/Snowbelt-Adeniums_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm I have purchased a few times from this seller before as have others that I know, and he (Phil) is great and trustworthy.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Clare:-)

I actually have quite a few seedlings right now, I was just looking forward to seeds on a plant that I had grown from seed. I like how each Adenium has it's own unique character, which is why I have so many lol.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

So far so good, the seed pod on my Adenium is still maturing. It sure takes a very long time....
This very tall (I keep it leveled at eye-height ) Adenium had a seed pod once before. I had it outside over the Summer next to a very short, fat Adenium obesum. The seeds produced both, short and tall plants. This year the short fat plant was distanced about 10 yards. Should be interesting what these babies look like, if the pod ripens alright.

Chris, I know what you mean. I have a quite a few seedlings myself! My little seedpod is just two small round balls at this point so it will probably be a long time until it matures, but you are welcome to some when they do. My concern is that the flower will look just like the one on that particular plant, which isn't that impressive in my opinion. There wasn't another blooming adenium around for it to be cross-pollinated so I am assuming that the flowers have both male and female parts. My friend sent me some seeds that she bought on eBay, which came from Thailand, and I am really excited to see what colors they might turn out to be. I think the best colors are coming out of Thailand right now.

Ruk, what was 10 yards? Did you mean 10 feet? Your plants sound very interesting.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Only one of mine bloomed, and I don`t have any seed pods.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I truly meant ca. 10 yards.
This time the tall ( heavy too) plant sat on the deck, I cannot carry it into the backyard anymore, so I simply slide it out on to the deck in the Spring. The other smaller one was tucked in with other plants, which were in a screened in area in the backyard. I was wondering if they still might be cross-pollinated like the last time, or if the distance was too great for the pollinating insect. I guess I will find out, when the seeds produce only tall plants. Which is what one might expect?

Ruk, that is incredible. I would love to see a picture of it if you are able to post one. These plants are so interesting and fascinating. I bet you can still have cross-pollination occur. Bees are the pollinators, aren't they? I guess I'm not sure about that. I will have to do some research. I'm not experienced enough with seeds to know what to expect, but I'm willing to be that some characteristics will be repeated and perhaps some won't.

This next picture belongs to my friend Beverly. It is her plant in the picture. I love her flowers.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

If you like, I can take a picture tomorrow of the seed pod.
In the meanwhile - the photo taken in May 2004, shows part of the tall Adenium obesum. The plant is sitting on the floor of the greenhouse. I don't think I have a recent picture of the small one.
But here they are both in 2000 outside.
http://www.kammlott.net/Adenium.html

Thumbnail by RUK

Those are wonderful pictures, Ruk! Thanks for sharing them. I would love to see a picture of your seedpod if you are able to post one. That is interesting how your tall one wants to be really tall. These plants can eventually get to be huge trees in time if you let them. Here's an interesting site if you haven't seen it before: http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/large.html and http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/yemen.html

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the links Clare. I actually managed to stumble over these yesterday, googling the pollination of Adenium obesum.
And I just took a picture of the seed pod. Patience....

Thumbnail by RUK

Wow! Beautiful! Thanks for posting that, Ruk. These are such wonderful plants. Do you have plumerias too? If not, I think you would love them too. They are related to Adeniums, as I'm sure you already know, and are very similar to care for. Most plumerias have the one thing that Adeniums lack, which is fragrance, but Adenium flowers are more brilliant in a lot of ways.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A few years ago I grew a couple of Plumerias, but I gave them up. They simply got too large for my surroundings and I was not able to keep the White Flies away from the large leaves. But they were pretty.

Port Saint Lucie, FL

i have been avidly growing them for three years the seedpods take seventy five days to open when they open the seeds can fly out easily at around sixty days of the seed pod maturing you should put twisty ties around the pod lightly so when it opens the seeds dont fly away i have been seeding these plants for two years and have a numerous variety of these plants if any one needs more info please contact me at civwngnts@aol.com

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

civwngts - start a new thread, this one was 3 years old! I have a seed pod on my Monolena primuliflora, would be nice to have a new seed pod thread.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

another idea is to use panty hose material and gently wrap around the pods so you don't lose the seeds like I did last year....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.