Looking for Orhocarpus exserta (owl's clover) seeds

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

We're just starting our landscaping with California natives and have a large area ripe for takeover by weeds. Our landscape advisor recommended adding some owl's clover to an S&S California native wildflower mix, and I'm looking for the seeds. Any help would be appreciated -- I am Googling, but no luck yet.

Kathleen

Found them at S&S Seeds listed under Castilleja exserta -- apparently the name has changed! But yikes, there's a $50 minimum to order + shipping.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2004 9:08 PM

Hi Kathleen, I wasn't familiar with Castilleja exserta so I had to go take a peek. Very beautiful plant. I am thinking that you might want to contact a native plant society in your area after seeing that $50 minimum. Chances are pretty good that somebody already has the seed and native plant people share pretty well.

Yes, it is a pretty one, isn't it? We do have a native plant society in San Diego, but their meetings are held 50 miles away, which is just too far. I am going to check with our native plant nursery, though, as they might know someone who has some. Thanks for the message.

I'd still consider making contact even though they are 50 miles away. I have routinely been sent seed in bubble mailers from people who have it who are in my region who are out of travel range for me. Native plant people want to get that seed out and chances are pretty darn good you wouldn't even be asked to send an SASE.

Good thought. I had intended to at least make it to the plant sale next year. Will see what I can find out.

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.