First-time planting Siberian Irises - help!

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

I received a number of free "everblooming" irises with some big plant orders, and am confused about planting depth. The instruction book that came with an order said to plant with the rhizomes exposed. Other instructions said to cover the rhizome with soil. I've planted them with the rhizomes exposed, but am ready to throw some dirt on them if necessary.

I also received some German iris - do I plant them the same depth as the Siberian irises?

This message was edited Feb 15, 2005 8:33 AM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Siberian irises need to have their roots & rhizomes covered with soil. They're a moisture loving iris. I don't mean to be skeptical but I've never heard of any "ever blooming" sibs. There are plenty of re-blooming varieties but I think ever blooming is a bit optimistic. Are the plants you got named cultivars?

German irises are a bearded iris and should be planted with tops of the rhizomes exposed in well-draining soil. Too much moisture for the these guys will cause rotting.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey poppysue, glad to see you post. Haven't seen you much lately and had been wondering about you.
Brenda

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Brenda :o) I'm still around. I think the winter blues are setting in early this year!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh poppy i am feeling those blues over here too! winters are soooo long!

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Poppysue! I wasn't sure what they were. I'll leave the tops of the rhizomes uncovered.

I lived on the beach for many years, and most stuff can't take the salt. We moved a bit inland and I'm excited about trying all the stuff I was afraid to plant near the ocean!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.