First Snow in Western Massachusetts

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Last night we had our first official snow on the ground. Stayed there this AM, too. So here's the beginning of snow season. When I first moved to MA from NJ, 35 years ago (!!), I innocently asked someone who grew up here "When does the snow go away?", expecting the answer "in a few days." But the local guy said completely seriously, "early April." I knew I was in trouble!

On the other hand......When I went to grad school in Tucson, AZ, a woman came to my apartment in February and looked at the photos of the garden I left behind at my BF's house in MA. She turned to me and said, "Who is taking care of your garden this winter?" That set me back a moment till I said, "Old man winter, I guess!"

I guess it's hard to imagine how things work if you've never lived there!

Here's the first dusting.....

Thumbnail by boojum

And another out the diningroom window.

Thumbnail by boojum
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Great pics, you and Imelling must've been hit by the same storm.
The bush in the first pi looks like it's in full bloom.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I get the uncomfortable feeling that when we get our first snow here it may stay until April, too.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Lot of frost lately, today it's 44', said it will snow but doesn't feel like it.
If it does I don't think it will last here on the coast in MA.
Lovely Pictures of first snow, boojum, can't imagine living any where without the the four distinct seasons.
Maria

I lived in Arizona for 2 years for grad school. I managed to see 4 seasons there but it is so subtle compared to New England. I went to botanical gardens once a week to balance out my stress from school. That's why I could see the seasons-the plants will show you! It was also fun to see what it was like to live without daylight savings. The days DO get shorter, but it happens naturally so you feel part of the changing rhythm. I liked it.

It's been snowing all day but the ground is warm so not any accumulation on roads, but at my house there's a picturesque dusting.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Pretty, but I don't know if I'd be happy to see it. :) And I know you have shared the same view in other threads so we can even compare the changing of the seasons at your place.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I see the falcons went south.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Boojum, we had about the same amount here in Newfoundland about 3 weeks ago, but it was gone the next day and there hasn't been a flake since (touch wood!). Halifax, Nova Scotia is suppose to get 2-4 inches today, but it looks like we will get rain from it in St. John's, Newfoundland....I hope we miss the snow until at least Christmas.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

John, I noticed that too. ;)) Where'd the falcons go Boojum?

I'm sorry! I wrote a message about begging the falcons to stay outside but they insisted on a dry winter in the red barn, but I inadvertently erased the message. I do that a lot.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Hey Todd, be glad you didn't get that storm, it shut Nova Scotia down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.