'summer in the garden' album has photos

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

my new photo album has images ready for you to view. at the moment there are only 20 images but I will be adding lots more later this evening - I hope.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1389828&a=13248504&f=0

Mark

Very pretty pictures, mark! How did you do the hanging basket tree? That is spectacular!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Mark, as usual your photos are wonderful. You have several shots of Dactylorhiza orchid (hope I spelled it right) that are absolutly stunning! I searched DG data base for more info on this but came up empty. Do you have a link where I might find more info? Thanks!

Zany what would you like to know?

Mark

Lantana the hanging basket tree is huge and it isnt mine. it is an iron frame in the shape of a Christmas tree but with only 4 sides like this + . the baskets hang from the many arms. I'll try to go and get a shot of the bare tree and add it so you can better understand who it is made up.

Mark

How do they keep the baskets watered?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I was hoping to find out what it's requirements are as far as temperatures, soil {or is it bark like other orchids} and light. If it is something a fairly new gardener like myself should endeavor to grow or if it is better left to those like youself with more experience.

This message was edited Monday, Jun 18th 1:37 AM

Lantana, my guess is there's a built in watering system.

Zany, these aren't epiphytic/arboreal orchids like those you would buy for the house. They need moist ground and to grow in dappled shade. you can grow them from seed but it takes years for them to appear as they spend a long time growing underground in a symbiotic relationship with certain fungi. they are totally hardy and like to be grown in groups.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the information Mark. I appreciate it very much. They are exquisite but sound like they ary way over and above my skill level at this time. Thank you for sharing your album with us.

Hernando, MS(Zone 7b)

You get two blue ribbons...One for the beautiful flowers and another for the photography! Thanks for sharing those pictures with us...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.