wildcrafting discussions

Lyles, TN

Dave and everyone: I was hoping this forum would have more discussion of wild-gathering subjects. What do you get from the woods and fields where you live? (besides ticks, LOL) Yesterday I gathered some twigs of Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) they make good tea, boiled 5 min. Later the seeds will be ripe, about mid July, dried out they make a spice you can grind in the peppermill, it's somewhere between allspice and with a hint of white pepper.
I'm curious about the New England states, what do you have there, wild plant wise? :)

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

I started this year, collecting, photographing and IDing wild plants in Crete. They are very fascinating, and it proves to be difficult to collect their seeds, much more difficult than I thought. Annuals, perennials, even trees and shrubs are a magnificent world to wonder in. Nigella, gladiolus byzantinus, colchicum, perennial hollyhock, carob trees, juno irises, so many, so different, so wonderful. Next year will be my first to grow them purposefully, and I am very curious how it will turn out.
I am also trying to trade their seeds - small scale, very rewarding, not very yielding - much time consumed for lack of experience.

Dimitri

Lyles, TN

Dimitri: Isn't Greece the "ancestral home" of several of "our" culinary herbs?

I will tell you a joke:
"Chauvinists are those people who believe that their country is more beautiful than Crete!!!"

Beyond that, I would like to say that in my opinion culinary herbs start in Asia - middle east and Asia minor - and of course, greece had a role to play. the Greeks in the ancient times were the definers and describers (they found, they gave a word for) in much the same way that the British were the registrars of plants all over the world in 17 - 19th century. Further, it is really sweet that no matter who gave the starting kick for the ball, anyone is welcome to play.

As for me, I still wonder if the garden is inside or outside the flowerbed.

Wishes to all
Dimitri

Lyles, TN

That's quite a crop of metaphors ! :) Mine usually die before they get the second leaves.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 19th 1:36 AM

Ivey,

perhaps if I tried to send you seeds from our variant here in Crete, which grows wild, they could yield a more resistant plant - and if you keep it away from frost, you may well get an interesting bush!!

Dimitri

I garden near to the New Forest in Southern England and you need a licence to collect anything from there (including sticks). There are also strict regulations on the collection of seeds from wild growing plants, however, if the dog brings them home on his coat.......

If I use anything fresh cooking or medicinally wise I take it from my garden. I know what the plants are and have used them many times before.

The Greeks and the Romans did much to take plants across the known world. Gardening in Britain started with the Romans, I dread to think what we ate before they came here! Britain and other Northern European countries did much to expand that tradition many centuries later, venturing into China and Japan amongst others with great risk to their lives. Dimitri you are right to say we all have a hand in it, even here we swap plants across the world.

Riverton, NJ

I"m glad to see there are others out there that collect native plants A.K.A weeds
I live in an area of New Jersey (USA) that is called the Pine Barrens. We have native plants here that are found no where else in the world. I'm with a group of ladies from the Pinelands Garden Club and Rutger's, that has educated our selves in the native pineland's flora and wild life.
*One learns a great respect, for plant life and mother nature after discovering even the smallest mosses and lichens.* I have just had a redo of my yard,,and in one areas off the front porch is going to be a native pineland shade garden,including a bog area in an old claw foot tub!

~When walkin in the woods ,,,please be very careful where you step,,,,you are walking on the earth's most valuable treasures.~~ "Her wild flowers"

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

I collect and seed and plants I can find in the wild, restricting myself only so far as I NEVER take all the seeds or all the plants I find in one location, and I ususally keep my plant collecting to those along the roadside and in danger from the road crews. This way I feel no guilt, because I'm saving their life, and increasing the total number of plants available to reproduce. I've gotten Virginia Bluebells, three species of phlox, hypercium, hydramgeas, amsonia, Jacob's Ladder, dog-toothed violets, TONS of roses....heck, half of what's in my yard came from the wild!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Roadside shopping is wonderful. I too have rescued wild oragne daylilies and daffodils when they were getting ready to widen a road. I am so glad I did they have been a joy to veiw and share. They would have been burried.

I have brought home this year wild petunias, butterfly weed, a beautifull pink flower(I have forgotten the name of), wild daturas, wild monarda, trumpet vine, white yarrow, and& phlox. I even dug up a small Locust tree, the one that blooms.

Lyles, TN

Fivekulps~ I am looking for seeds of Kentucky Coffee tree and Yellow wood tree. Do you know of any in your area? I would really appreciate your help or a clue as to where else I could look.

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I have aquired this year alone in roadside shopping; Purple loosestrife, Butter and Eggs, Sky Blue Asters, Red Milkweed and Wild Phlox. All in the quest to bring native butterflys and hummingbirds to my yard. All that have visited so far are a lot of Bumblebee's :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.